Quantum 5hp carb leak

Robj

Forum Newbie
I have a Snapper with a 5hp B&S Quantum I bought new back in 1999. I thought the tank had started leaking fuel but after removing the air filter to get to the grass catcher duct nuts to remove the tank, I can see that the fuel is actually dripping from a small port on the carb in the bottom of the air horn opening. If this was my car, I'd be thinking stuck float with fuel leaking out of a vent? Does this sound close? Are these carbs rebuildable?

Here's a generic photo I got online. The drip is coming form the small port right in front of the butterfly. I think the right one.

carb.JPG

Thanks.
 
You have the correct assumption. Float valve leaking allowing the carb to overflow. There are about 3 different carb kits used on that style of carb, so be sure to get the model number info from the engine to make sure you get the correct kit.
 
Back
Top