Pushing in neutral

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Craftsman 917.275685

The the neutral rod coming out of the transmission is stuck. I've cleaned all the dirt and grass around it, but it won't budge. I can push it forward. But trying to go backwards, ain't happ'nin.
I don't wanna force and break anything. So I'm wondering if there's a trick to getting the lever to move.

I've tried hollering at it already. Even shook my fist at it. But that didn't work.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
try jacking up the rear end & spinning the wheels or rocking the mower to & fro a little.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It has a Peerless LTH2000 series hydro transaxle. I done ran into this unit this year with the same problem. If need to move the mower when not running lift one side the rear so the wheel off the ground and move it to where you want it; otherwise, the engine must running to move it.

The disengage shaft is corroded to case. The mechanical side of the transaxle would need to disassembled and the shaft driven out so the hole can be reamed clean. But before you even attempt this you would make an alignment jig for the hydro unit because they are not available any more.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
And if like the Peerless tranny I have getting the OE sealant off and resealing is a real chore. I'd keep after it with penetrating oil and hope it frees up. And that sliding engagement sleeve is not too stout looking, I try to never move it.

Peerless hydro 2000.jpg

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got the lever freed up a little bit. But it still doesn't free up the wheels much. Trying to keep from forcing it. So I'll let it soak some more with liquid wrench. I just hope that stuff doesn't soak down into the fluid.