Export thread

Push Mowing Niche Market For Part-Time/Start Up. Advise/Thoughts?

M

Mowmanks

I already have a full time job with a lawn care company but looking to make extra money by offering a 'push mow only' lawn service. I'll be going on my sixth year as a landscaper/mower and have plenty of experience mowing.
I don't have a lot of money to buy nice equipment. So I thought I could appeal to a certain customer base by doing a push mow only service.
I know some people do not like having the heavier mowers because they can leave ruts and most operators, atleast in my experience, never fully pick up how mow a yard without tearing up grass on turns and sharp corners leaving the yard tore up at the end of the year after going over it week after week.
I not only hope to keep cost down but I think it sounds better to customers who think I chose to do push mow only service because I want to accommodate them instead of a broke guy out there trying to make a few extra dollars.
What I was wanting help with is how should I advertise it to people? How do I convince them what I'm doing is better? How do I get that across on a flier with writing out a hundred words? Also, should I mention other types of work I could like trimming bushes or should I just focus on mowing to bring customers in and go from there?

M

mowerman05

I think push mowing only is a great idea. Alot of my customers dont like the zturn in there yard so I use a walk behind. how to advertise? good luck and keep mowing.

lawnguy1

lawnguy1

Mowmanks, I actually have a lot of clients who prefer push mowing. First of all, I want to labor the point that using push mowers DOES NOT make your service look inferior to others. In fact, with some clients ( especially older people) you will get more respect in the opinion that they admire the fact you're going about it that way. Secondly, if you are only using push I want to offer some advice that proved very tangible for me a while back.. Target neighborhoods with post stamp yards and offer a neighborhood special on the flyer explaining that if you get enough clients you can provide a lower cost.. this works as they will talk to eachother and basically promote ur service for you. Thirdly, if you're going to use a push mower commercially you have to make sure to maintenance it consistently, major emphasis on air filter! Good luck! I think you'll do fine

Carscw

Carscw

I only push mow. I have found over the years that if you get into a subdivision with nice yards that the homeowners want there yard groomed not just mowed you will do very well. Most homeowners do not mind paying more money for a well groomed yard.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Carscw

Carscw

IMO I have never saw a yard that was cut with a big mower look good. There is always fat tire tracks.

Ric

Ric

I already have a full time job with a lawn care company but looking to make extra money by offering a 'push mow only' lawn service. I'll be going on my sixth year as a landscaper/mower and have plenty of experience mowing.
I don't have a lot of money to buy nice equipment. So I thought I could appeal to a certain customer base by doing a push mow only service.
I know some people do not like having the heavier mowers because they can leave ruts and most operators, atleast in my experience, never fully pick up how mow a yard without tearing up grass on turns and sharp corners leaving the yard tore up at the end of the year after going over it week after week.
I not only hope to keep cost down but I think it sounds better to customers who think I chose to do push mow only service because I want to accommodate them instead of a broke guy out there trying to make a few extra dollars.
What I was wanting help with is how should I advertise it to people? How do I convince them what I'm doing is better? How do I get that across on a flier with writing out a hundred words? Also, should I mention other types of work I could like trimming bushes or should I just focus on mowing to bring customers in and go from there?

I agree with what you are trying to do. I also agree that the push mower gives a better cut and that there is a market for your attempting to make some extra money, but the problem with doing it commercially is ( TIME ) If I were to attempt what you are suggesting, the mowers I would use would be the Toro TurfMaster 30" or The Exmark 30" Other wise I can't see how you can do enough lawns commercially in a day to have or run a business with just a push mower. JMO.

lawnguy1

lawnguy1

Ten small yards at 25 each is 250 a day though. I mean if you bust your hump you can may make it work

M

Mowmanks

I'm definitely not trying to get into big commercial accounts. Looking to target small/medium sized yards that I could mow in 30min or so.

Lawnguy1 thanks for your suggestion on giving neighborhood discounts. Sounds like a great idea to me. Gets the people talking and would save time and money staying in one area opposed to moving from place to place.

Ric

Ric

Ten small yards at 25 each is 250 a day though. I mean if you bust your hump you can may make it work

Yeah I agree, if you bust your hump you can may make it work, but that's a lot of hours a day if your doing trimming, edging and blowing off. The way I look at it is if it could be done on a day in day out basis I think you would see every guy or lawncare business that pulls a trailer with just push mowers.

Carscw

Carscw

The thing with doing yards with a push mower is your not going to do the big yards that pay $25 your going to do the smaller yards that will pay $45
I see guys cutting a 1/4 acre yard with a 50 inch ztr all the time for $15. $20 you can go in that neighborhood and take most of his yards and charge $40.

Stripe nice straight lines

lawnguy1

lawnguy1

I've got the morning off on account on the weather so I want to run with this thread because this is exactly where I was at one time. I left the lawncare company I was with and all I had was a 22 inch huskee and a 40 dollar featherlite weedeater. As is the case with every new spring, a lot of guys fresh out of hs whose rich daddys bought them zero turns and Trailor setups were all over the place and at first I was intimidated when I would pull up to a job in my beat up truck and have to lift my mower out of the bed as they were riding off the ramps with their shiny equipment laughing. But I stuck with it because I knew either they would become burnt out, get lazy or just fail to provide good service. I relied not on equipment but drive. By the end of the summer I had enough money to advance my equipment and was able to grow from there. Ric is right completely in regards to long term continuity in the business. As for right now though you can do it on what u have now and then continue to grow from there. Clients RESPECT a man who is humble and hardworking and cares about his clients even if his equipment is inexpensive. They'll choose him anyday over a cocky kid whose only out there to make a quick buck

Ric

Ric

I've got the morning off on account on the weather so I want to run with this thread because this is exactly where I was at one time. I left the lawncare company I was with and all I had was a 22 inch huskee and a 40 dollar featherlite weedeater. As is the case with every new spring, a lot of guys fresh out of hs whose rich daddys bought them zero turns and Trailor setups were all over the place and at first I was intimidated when I would pull up to a job in my beat up truck and have to lift my mower out of the bed as they were riding off the ramps with their shiny equipment laughing. But I stuck with it because I knew either they would become burnt out, get lazy or just fail to provide good service. I relied not on equipment but drive. By the end of the summer I had enough money to advance my equipment and was able to grow from there. Ric is right completely in regards to long term continuity in the business. As for right now though you can do it on what u have now and then continue to grow from there. Clients RESPECT a man who is humble and hardworking and cares about his clients even if his equipment is inexpensive. They'll choose him anyday over a cocky kid whose only out there to make a quick buck

I agree with what you're saying but I was under the impression that the OP had been in or worked for a business for a number of years and was just trying something new with the Push Mower Business. He said he would be looking to target small/medium sized yards that I could mow in 30min or so which IMO to do along with Trimming, Edging and blowing things off is going to take longer than 30 minutes. I'm strictly a residential operator and most of my yards are small / medium yards and the ones I do with the push mowers I can mow in thirty minutes but when you add 400ft of edging, trimming plus blowing things off it takes more time than you think to do things right.
Again like you I started small and built things up to where I am today and if that is what the OP is looking to do I hope things work well for him, I just think doing it with Push Mowers is going to be a tough way to make a living. :smile:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I push mow all of my yards. Most of them are around 1/4 acre, and they take me 35-50 minutes to mow.

C

CZLawnCare

I push mow all of my yards. Most of them are around 1/4 acre, and they take me 35-50 minutes to mow.

Lmf if you dont mind me asking how much do you charge on average for a 1/4 acre lot?

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Lmf if you dont mind me asking how much do you charge on average for a 1/4 acre lot?

I know some people are going to argue with me on whether this is the right thing to do or not, but I charge $20 because this is not what I am making a living on. If it was to "pay the bills" I would charge more.

C

CZLawnCare

I understand what youre saying but i would charge more if i was in your position because $20 is already low especially when youre push mowing it all.

Carscw

Carscw

I know some people are going to argue with me on whether this is the right thing to do or not, but I charge $20 because this is not what I am making a living on. If it was to "pay the bills" I would charge more.

If you went up to $30 would you lose any yards ?

Carscw

Carscw

I understand what youre saying but i would charge more if i was in your position because $20 is already low especially when youre push mowing it all.

I agree $20 is very low but you have to remember he is a teenager cutting the neighbors yards.
I believe he does it more for the enjoyment of cutting grass then for the money I know I do.

C

CZLawnCare

I agree $20 is very low but you have to remember he is a teenager cutting the neighbors yards.
I believe he does it more for the enjoyment of cutting grass then for the money I know I do.

Oh i fully understand because im a teenager too and i started because i really enjoy cutting grass and love lawn equipment but i still dont think that is a valid reason to work for less than you worth, i use push mowers for front and a 32" zero turn for back yards on 1/8 acre lots and charge $20-30 per yard and i still enjoy what i do and enjoy the money im making and the opportunity for my buisness to grow because of it

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

If you went up to $30 would you lose any yards ?

I probably would lose a few. I wouldn't lose my loyal customers but then there are the customers that just don't feel like mowing their yard but don't want to spend a lot of money for a "big company" to mow their lawn.

Carscw

Carscw

I probably would lose a few. I wouldn't lose my loyal customers but then there are the customers that just don't feel like mowing their yard but don't want to spend a lot of money for a "big company" to mow their lawn.

I believe your a hard worker and try your best to do a good job so don't sell your self short.

I have a 14 year old step son the only way I could get him to cut grass is if it was a Xbox game. I think it's good your out making your own money.

Is this what your wanting to do as a career or just while your in school?

lawnguy1

lawnguy1

Agree with carcw, my stepson wouldn't give up playing call of duty to mow the lawn even if money was involved ha!

Bomba

Bomba

Yes, this young man sounds like a hard worker and he is driven. He also enjoys his work. he is showing initiative. Your personality has something to do with success in business. In lawn care you meet a lot of your clients face to face.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I believe your a hard worker and try your best to do a good job so don't sell your self short.

I have a 14 year old step son the only way I could get him to cut grass is if it was a Xbox game. I think it's good your out making your own money.

Is this what your wanting to do as a career or just while your in school?

I AM considering doing this after college. It might not be something I want to do for the rest of my life, but it is definitely not just something I am doing to "make an extra buck"! :smile: