Export thread

pulley removal

Duramax

Duramax

i have a murray hydro auto wide body 17 hp that i took off the deck and blades and i cannot remove the transaxle pulley. took the nut,washer off beat it with a hammer , put a torch to it, and drove it with the nut removed to try to get the pully off and no luck. anyone know how to remove this thing?

Duramax

Duramax

this is what the transaxle looks like with the pulley. obviously its all still together in the frame

Attachments

K

KennyV

Can you get to the top with a puller?

Duramax

Duramax

i dont have the correct size puller...but one of my buddies has one that i can use next time i see him.
it just seems like there is something else holding this thing in. there isnt really too much rust and i sprayed an #ss load of PB blaster and wire brushed whatever was on the shaft.
i guess its just froze on? or does anyone know if im missing something?

K

KennyV

Sometimes things just get tight...
There isn't an allen screw in the hub, over the key is there... :smile:KennyV

Duramax

Duramax

Sometimes things just get tight...
There isn't an allen screw in the hub, over the key is there... :smile:KennyV

sorry. could you be a little more clear? thanks:confused2:

K

KennyV

I've had some pulleys with multiple set screws around the hub... removing only one would never allow it to be free of the shaft... :smile:KennyV

Duramax

Duramax

I've had some pulleys with multiple set screws around the hub... removing only one would never allow it to be free of the shaft... :smile:KennyV

sorry for stupid questions but where would these set screws be? ive looked all over this thing and cannot find any evidence of anyhting else holding it on

K

KennyV

I don't know your pulley has set screws... but if it did it would be located like this... http://www.lawnmowerpulleys.info/image/steel-v-belt-pulley-for-lawn-mower-3-od-34-id.jpg
there could also be a second one 90 degrees around the hub from this one located on the key... :smile:KennyV

Duramax

Duramax

i decided to leave the rear pulley on because i couldnt get it off w.out ruining it. so now i have the front pulley off that was attached to the engine. i want to put a bigger one on there, what is the best way to attach a pulley to the crank shaft?

K

KennyV

i
... what is the best way to attach a pulley to the crank shaft?

Was it not originally just a key with a bolt holding it on?

Duramax

Duramax

Was it not originally just a key with a bolt holding it on?

correct but i flipped it upside down to use the deck/blade pulley because it is larger.
the keys where on the top side not the bottom and the bolt will not mount or thread the same way.
i will try to get photos later