pulley recomendations?

Tweeder

Threads
I have a craftsman 9hp 27" snowblower. It can barely keep up with the wet snow on the slowest speed, it keeps pushing and spilling over on the clean side. Can I change pulley sizes to get the auger to spin faster?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think the engine pulley is a stacked pair, one for the drive and the other for the blower impeller... It could be difficult to change only one of the two...
That leaves the auger drive pulley on the impeller shaft... Item #480 on this parts page: Model # 536886261 | Parts.Sears.com
You could make that a smaller pulley... that would spin the blower faster... :smile:KennyV

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
If I understand right now, the pulleys provide a mechanical advantage. Increasing the auger speed will decrease the torque available and may result in bogging down in wet snow. HP is torque times RPM, you have a fixed amount of HP, so higher speed equals less torque. It's why you have to downshift on a steep hill. You'll be right back where you started. Maybe you need a lower travel speed in the heavy stuff.

Tweeder

Threads
If I understand right now, the pulleys provide a mechanical advantage. Increasing the auger speed will decrease the torque available and may result in bogging down in wet snow. HP is torque times RPM, you have a fixed amount of HP, so higher speed equals less torque. It's why you have to downshift on a steep hill. You'll be right back where you started. Maybe you need a lower travel speed in the heavy stuff.

I see, not what I wanted to hear. As for a slower speed, the only lower gear that I could use would be reverse LOL. Its doing this in first gear.