PTO Would Not Engage As Desired

darkmann

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine is a 2010 RZT 50. Recently, after mowing for a short while, when I disengage the PTO, it would not re-engage immediately. I'd have to ride around for a few minutes for it to kick in. For example, if I go into reverse and try to re-engage the PTO going forward, it would not engage immediately. I thought there's a short somewhere, but can't find any electrical short. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bertrrr

Threads
pull the switch out of the fit and move it while a test light is hooked up and see if it's the switch being funky
it's either the switch or wiring to the clutch - Rarely have I run into a bad clutch but it's possible

darkmann

Forum Newbie
Threads
pull the switch out of the fit and move it while a test light is hooked up and see if it's the switch being funky
it's either the switch or wiring to the clutch - Rarely have I run into a bad clutch but it's possible
I will check the switch. I had ruled out the switch because the PTO engaged just fine when I start cold and the problem happens only after running for a while, maybe 30 minutes into ride. some times I'll just let it sit for a while and it will work fine. That led me to something overheating but I got lost from there.

darkmann

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sometimes with some clutches the air gap gets too wide due to wear and will cause it to not engage when warm.
Seems likely because it never happens when I start cold. Would wet lawn mowing make this worse?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seems likely because it never happens when I start cold. Would wet lawn mowing make this worse?
Not likely for the most part. The issue is as the winding in the clutch heats up the electrical resistance of the coil increases and then hits a point were the magnetic field generated can't overcome the air gap to engage the clutch.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And it can be a failing PTO relay. I had just this last month doing the same thing. And you won't it list on most IPLs as they want you to buy a complete wiring harness.
1691337503211.png
MTD/CUB PN 925-1648A
Generic PN NVFMCS20DC12V1.5AR
Generic PN ZT606-12VDC-C

darkmann

Forum Newbie
Threads
And it can be a failing PTO relay. I had just this last month doing the same thing. And you won't it list on most IPLs as they want you to buy a complete wiring harness.
View attachment 66187
MTD/CUB PN 925-1648A
Generic PN NVFMCS20DC12V1.5AR
Generic PN ZT606-12VDC-C
Now, that's interesting. A good place to start - relays are relatively inexpensive and it sounds like you experienced my problem last month. Also, a failing relay somewhat envelopes earlier responses from Betrr (switch) and ILENGINE (over temperature). Where's this relay and how hard to replace on a scale to 5? Pics would help, if you don't mind. Thanks to all three of you for helping.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sorry I was thinking of the later models. But I did take to look up the wiring for the RZT50 Kawasaki 17AI2ACP (2010) 17AI2ACP010 (2010) 17AI2ACP056 (2010) 17WI2ACP010 (2010) 17WI2ACP056 (2010) models.

On this model you need to check the two reverse switches as they tend to burn their contacts and become intermittent. I have where one burns out the user never notices it until the other one starts giving problems. The only time the PTO should kick out is in full reverse and then return once you start forward or turn.

Again sorry for the miss direct.
1691351653152.png

darkmann

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. Truly appreciate your help.