PTO/Clutch Issue

bamadirtrider

Threads
Question: His appears to be a CCW Clutch (Pulley down - Toward the ground and clutch toward engine case. He has the Special-Washer which is about 1/4 inch wide!(His Does Not have the D-Spacer!). He can't figure out how to hold the assembly in order to torque the bolt??? I watched about every video on the Xtreme web site and didn't see how that is done. Tightening IF he had a D-Spacer is obvious but he sees no way to tighten with the giant flat washer! Anyone know how to do that.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the spark plugs. Turn the engine by hand until one of the pistons is coming up toward TDC on compression stroke(valves need to be closed to prevent possible damage), and then stuff as much starter rope into the spark plug hole as possible and turn the piston up against the rope to lock the crankshaft from turning. torque the clutch bolt.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Either that or remove the engine shroud then using a large flat blade screwdriver insert the tip into the flywheel ring gear and hold up against one the ignition coil's mounting studs. Then have a someone or himself tighten the retaining screw to torque spec. I do this here on most engines with some exception on large ZTRs that my arms are not long enough to reach both places at the same time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And I would give Xtreme a quick call to make sure that the end cap is correct
Never seen one that was not D shaped so yours might be a hangover monday morning special .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Xtreme PTO clutches do come without the Double D adapter/spacer, Just depends on the application. Also even if the Double D spacer was they all don't take the same size tool. There is at least 5 different sizes.

Hustler Super Z is one example of not having the spacer. Also the Scag Turf Tigers I work on is another. See the following note from Xtreme.

1711970667453.png

Last edited:

bamadirtrider

Threads
Update: We installed the clutch following the guidelines in the install pages AND those that were presented here! He is cutting grass as I type this and wanted to thank everyone for the help in troubleshooting the issue and install guidance!! It was much appreciated! I add my thanks as well!

BromD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most PTO clutches should be between 2-4 ohms when checking with a multimeter. Could be wires that are worn and shorting out to ground. Check wiring and repair wiring or replace PTO clutch. What is age of Scag and hour meter reading?
I have a STT61V-27KA. I just checked my clutch and it read 2.3 ohms. So it should be good right? I have a bad switch for sure but need to know if clutch should be replaced also...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It should be fine unless there a random shorting occurring during rotation while engaged.