Proper installation of the Shift link for a craftsman model no.917.273451

ricco

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Proper installation of the Shift link for a craftsman model no.917.273451
I've tried every possible configuration possible (at least 5 or 6) without success. Only one come close to working, it worked fine R-N-1-2-3-4, then a total lock up. I blew one of the ball joints out when I forced it to 5 & 6 . Does anyone out there know what the correct orientation to install this damn link and also the correct orientation of the shifter input arm?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ricco

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the info. I've got the the original manual and even got larger sized Ground Drive diagram off the Craftsman site.

My problem is this is my "old" 2003 mower/snow blower Tractor. Which after 9.5 years of 12 month use started, ran, shifted great, (except & due to the year round use required a new battery every 18 months +/-). The last 6 months in service it stated throwing the ground belt - rarely at first, but in 'the end' just as soon as letting the clutch out (which really ticked me off after just pulling off the blower tranny of to reset that damn ground belt in 15 degree air temp {which wasn't worn, but as I found 3 months ago the thrust washer, input pulley and inner snap ring all wore to the point which resulted in excess input shaft end play which tossed the belt as soon as I let the clutch out}.

I decided to fix the old bone so I woudn't have the convert the new 2013 Craftsman (currently and hopefully permintily in snower blower trim {blower, chains, and 3 sets of weights}) to a mower. I pulled the tranny off the old bone to find the belt throwing problem as well as fix it. I replaced the worn parts and reinstalled the tranny - no problem!! But, and I know better, I didn't note the orientation of the shifter arm (both horizontal & vertical) and of the Link. Dumb, very dumb.

I'm going to get under that old bone tomorrow with a large scale ground drive in hand diagram and give it another shot! But if you got an idea on these parts must be oriented to allow installation I'd appreciate any guidence you can give me.

Thanks for your help Mark!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for replying back, we all learn something new every day, sometimes by making simple mistakes, just take your time & be patient, you'll figure it out.