Export thread

Propane Tank

A

AndyMan

We have always had a buried propane tank but are now switching to above ground. They said they need to put in two 100-gallon tanks, up against the house. Does anyone have experience with this? We have about three weeks to figure out where these things are going to go.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

We have always had a buried propane tank but are now switching to above ground. They said they need to put in two 100-gallon tanks, up against the house. Does anyone have experience with this? We have about three weeks to figure out where these things are going to go.

No experience whatsoever, but here's my 2cents.
First consideration, access. Put them where the guy can reach them to fill them, or you'll be picking another location after a cold shower:laughing:
Second, safety. Propane is heavier than air, it accumulates in low spots so try to consider what a leak may mean should one occur. Would'nt want the stuff falling into the basement or under the house. You might not want them in direct proximity to your barbeque. Direct sunlight might also be a concern as would under a tree where leaves and debris might become difficult to remove and accumulation of same would accelorate corosion.
Third, asthetics If the first 2 considerations leave the tanks highly visible (some may not consider 2 100 gallon tanks as the quik trip to "curb appeal") you may want to spend the next three weeks figuring out how to make these tanks look wonderful, using paint, plants, lattice or make them look like a couple of cows, hay bales, garden gnomes, or snails. Use this as an opourtunity to express your inner artistic self, the "Martha Stewart" hidden within, if you will
Fourth, removal and replacement Are they going to have to be replaced anytime soon? Do they need to be inspected or tested regularly? If this is the case than be sure and consider this in your athesitcal design.

grnspot110

grnspot110

Personally, as a retired firefighter, I would not want any fuel tank against a building! Our 500 gal propane tank is across the drive from the house, about 50'. ~~ grnspot110

173abn

173abn

I have a 500 gal for my house and it's 50' away from my house,I had another 500gal put in for my barn 5yrs ago and the propane guy told me it had to be a certain distance from the barn.I can't remember the min. distance but it too sits 50' from the barn.I'm wondering why you have to have two tanks instead of one larger one? I think I'd give my insurance co. a call before I'd put them up against the house. Merry Christmas! russ

K

KennyV

I have always had a 1000 gallon tank away from the house or buildings...
They use to require buried butane tanks, but I had never seen propane buried.
Get the largest tank you can buy, propane prices change with the seasons, fill a large tank once a year, when the price per gallon is lowest will save you a lot over the years... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I have a large propane tank that I don't use. It was used for heating before I bought the house and I heat entirely with wood. Would someone buy it?

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I have a large propane tank that I don't use. It was used for heating before I bought the house and I heat entirely with wood. Would someone buy it?

You bet they would and you should sell it because those things are dated. Look carefully and you'll find a date stamped on it somewhere. While you are looking take a picture and post it on craigs list. Ask 300$ and I'll bet you'll sell it. If the tank is expired you can still sell it but someone will have to have it reinspected and restamped, lowering it's value.
If you have a welder those things make great smokers.

I

indypower

Up against the house? Local fire laws here sat they must be at least 50ft from the house.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

You bet they would and you should sell it because those things are dated. Look carefully and you'll find a date stamped on it somewhere. While you are looking take a picture and post it on craigs list. Ask 300$ and I'll bet you'll sell it. If the tank is expired you can still sell it but someone will have to have it reinspected and restamped, lowering it's value.
If you have a welder those things make great smokers.

That's good news -- thanks for the advice. I'll look at it closely next time I'm at the farm.

BTW -- It's only about 10 feet from the house:eek: -- all the more reason to move it.

K

KennyV

How many gallon tank is it??...
Around here they will sell for $1 a gallon, regardless of age.. A 500 gallon will always bring 500 and up and a 1000 gallon will go for a thousand or more.
The inspection and certification is usually a $35 fee and is usually never charged because your propane supplier is wanting you to remain with them rather than shop around.
I have always thought I would pick one up if I ever came across one selling for less. If you have the tank capacity you can have up to 10k gallons at a residential location.
You can only fill any tank to 80 percent, so a 1k tank will only be filled to 800 gallons. that will normally takeme through an entire year with some left over. But If I had more tanks I could buy it at the lowest price time and very soon pay for the extra tanks... :smile:KennyV

K

KennyV

One more thing about the two 100 gallon tanks.
Try to get at least a 500 or better yet a 1000, buy the tanks and own them.
Don't rent or lease them even if it is only $1 a year lease. Also do not have them stop by mthly to service (keep full)... the price per gallon is usually around 20 to 30 percent higher than a minimum fill charge.
If you have enough tank capacity to run 6 mts or more you can buy your fuel when demand is low and your supplier is needing to move it. Price can vary through a year by as much as 50 percent.. Propane NEVER gets old. It can not take on any contaminant (it's under pressure) ...
If you burn propane, you are going to burn it nomatter the cost... just as well plan ahead an save when you can. :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

How many gallon tank is it??...
Around here they will sell for $1 a gallon, regardless of age.. A 500 gallon will always bring 500 and up and a 1000 gallon will go for a thousand or more.
The inspection and certification is usually a $35 fee and is usually never charged because your propane supplier is wanting you to remain with them rather than shop around.
I have always thought I would pick one up if I ever came across one selling for less. If you have the tank capacity you can have up to 10k gallons at a residential location.
You can only fill any tank to 80 percent, so a 1k tank will only be filled to 800 gallons. that will normally takeme through an entire year with some left over. But If I had more tanks I could buy it at the lowest price time and very soon pay for the extra tanks... :smile:KennyV

I don't know the size. I'll both inspect it for writing (specs) and measure it next time I'm there. It's big and I'd like to have it out of the way.

Thanks for the info.

adan

adan

In my country, only restaurants use the size of the tanks you're talking about. I note though that they're situated against the wall! Scary thought.

But people here don't bother because Filipinos are used to buying small LPG tanks entirely for cooking purposes. They are in 5-6 gal tanks that any strong armed male can carry. You know where they are being sold? In gas stations.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

One more thing about the two 100 gallon tanks.
Try to get at least a 500 or better yet a 1000, buy the tanks and own them.
Don't rent or lease them even if it is only $1 a year lease. Also do not have them stop by mthly to service (keep full)... the price per gallon is usually around 20 to 30 percent higher than a minimum fill charge.
If you have enough tank capacity to run 6 mts or more you can buy your fuel when demand is low and your supplier is needing to move it. Price can vary through a year by as much as 50 percent.. Propane NEVER gets old. It can not take on any contaminant (it's under pressure) ...
If you burn propane, you are going to burn it nomatter the cost... just as well plan ahead an save when you can. :smile:KennyV

That sounds like good advice Kenny.
I know several people that have gone to expense of changing to propane to save money with rising cost of electrcity only to be very dissapointed to find the propane company gigs them everytime they get the chance with regular deliveries and no way to verify the amounts used.
I asked a propane company about the price of propane for home use and they could not give me a number, they indicated the price would vary depending on the amount used. Which means to me that they charge whatever they want or need to.
Sounds like you have developed some work arounds. You probably know what your going to pay before they deliver.
Smart, very smart. Thanks for sharing

J

jenkinsph

I used to have propane and had a large tank so that I could buy in early summer when prices were at their lowest. Kenny has the right idea here. I have since switched to natural gas and don't miss the above ground tank, what an eyesore it was.

grnspot110

grnspot110

Our propane supplier has a "Prepay" program, so I buy around 1000 gallon in the summer & they keep the tank filled on that price until the 1000 gal is used up.

Also have a 100 gal. tank for the ceramic heater in the shop that I haven't used out of in 5 years, I heat the shop with wood. Put it in after surgery so the shop could be kept above freezing if I'm not able to fire the stove. ~~ grnspot110

173abn

173abn

the only trouble with that prepay program here in my parts is if you don't use it all during the season my propane co. charges you a nickle a gallon storage fee.I only use about a tank and a half in the winter to heat my home and even less for my greenhouse and shop because I supplement it with wood and solar so I don't prepay. russ

M

monica123

We used to have a propane kitchen range and the tank was right up against the house but we found it to be far too expensive so we switched to electric. We rolled the tank to the side of the road and some guy came and offered me $25 for it and took it away!

A

AndyMan

I'm wondering why you have to have two tanks instead of one larger one?

They said we don't use enough propane for a larger tank. We use primarily heat with wood, so we use about 500 gallons a year, for supplemental heating, plus hot water and cooking. We have a choice of two 100 gallon against the house or one torpedo tank in the yard. Not sure how much the torpedo tank holds.

It does seem rather dangerous to have the tanks against the house, especially since we heat with wood. Maybe I'll call them again.

No one around here will sell propane tanks, and even if you could find one to buy, the propane companies will not fill someone else's tank.

K

KennyV

No one around here will sell propane tanks, and even if you could find one to buy, the propane companies will not fill someone else's tank.

Now THAT is a monopoly...
If you could get by with 500 gallons per year, that is the smallest tank you should get...
AND you should be allowed to OWN your tank AND shop for the best price and time of year to buy it...
wow I would be SOOOooo unhappy around there.... :frown:KennyV

M

monica123

That seems very unfair being stuck in a monopoly. I hate when the big businesses dictate what you have to buy and you have no choice, it sucks.

R

Rocky

Why two 100 gallon tanks, I wonder? Why not just one larger tank? Having it close to the house means no buried pipeline. Seems better to have it away from the house, though.

A

AndyMan

It is a very frustrating situation to be in. It would be fabulous to simply buy a tank of the size I want, put it where I want, and have the company I want fill it when I want it filled. But, if you'll notice, I live in New York. Things don't work that way here.

K

KennyV

I live in New York. Things don't work that way here.

Sorry to hear that...
There should be some price shopping available for everyone. Especially if you own your own storage equipment...