Export thread

Project Farm: Ethanol vs Non-Ethanol fuel test

I

itsgalf

I don't know if you all also follow this guys videos on youtube - I find most of them quite informative actually.
Anyways, Project Farm just put out a video of efficiency and comparison of carbon deposits of Ethanol vs. Non-Ethanol fuel. I thought you guys might find it interesting enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEf9Fdvx_Sc

Of course he's only doing a short term test, so it's not one of his more scientific tests.

- Marco

Ronno6

Ronno6

Interesting test results.
I do look forward to his test on rubber parts and carb parts.
I will take note of which parts he uses for those tests, as carb gasket kits
have had to change composition of gaskets and rubber parts in order to stand up better to ethanol.
That is the reason who carb kits that used to cost $12.00 now cost $60.00.

I have no issue with running ethanol blended gasoline.
The trouble occurs when it is left in the carb and not run for a period of time.
Ethanol induced carburetor problems plagued me for years while living in Florida,
where non-ethanol gas was very expensive and hard to find.
Having moved to South Mississippi, I find non ethanol gas readily available and not so expensive.
I have not had a single carburetor problem since the move................

Boobala

Boobala

Having moved to South Mississippi, I find non ethanol gas readily available and not so expensive.

That's cause ya sold all your lawn equip. .. hired a lawn-service, and ya just peddle ur arse all over town, on ur ..." BI-" cycles...:laughing:..:laughing:

Ronno6

Ronno6

That's cause ya sold all your lawn equip. .. hired a lawn-service, and ya just peddle ur arse all over town, on ur ..." BI-" cycles...:laughing:..:laughing:

Not hardly:............
2 lawn tractors
A Raptor SD54
7 walk behinds
A chipper/shredder
A dedicated chipper (I love that thing,,,)
Several chainsaws,string trimmers and a leaf blower.......

And ZERO Carb problems............

:thumbsup:

D

Darryl G

For many us the only option for ethanol-free gas is to buy it in cans, which I do, but only for my seldom-used hand-held equipment that tends to sit for a while between uses such as hedge trimmers, chain saws etc. I think I burned a total of 3 gallons this past season. Keep in mind that letting any fuel sitting in a carb for long periods of time can gum up your carb, but ethanol seems to degrade, corrode and damage more than just gum things up.

Ronno6

Ronno6

For many us the only option for ethanol-free gas is to buy it in cans, which I do, but only for my seldom-used hand-held equipment that tends to sit for a while between uses such as hedge trimmers, chain saws etc. I think I burned a total of 3 gallons this past season. Keep in mind that letting any fuel sitting in a carb for long periods of time can gum up your carb, but ethanol seems to degrade, corrode and damage more than just gum things up.

The vid showed how to remove the ethanol....add water, wait for water/ethanol to separate out remove.
But that is tedious and the resulting gasoline will be a lower octane.
I'm jus' sayin'.................

Mkala

Mkala

Hello,

I follow this dude too on YT, and yes most of videos are nice and informative. Even if content tend to spread a bit out of small engines related things ;)

For efficiency, not a surprise. For same volume you have to inject a more fuel to keep stoichiometric. People that convert their car to E85 knows this, most of the time they have to replace for higher volume injectors, to be able to have good AFR. Even if E85 allow to reach more power, with more aggressive ingition timing, as said thanks to better octane rating.

For customer, ethanol in fuel is a bad thing in my opinion... most of the time fuel with ethanol is not cheaper (or the price for ethanol-free is rising). This mean for our cars we loose fuel efficiency and for our small engines we are corroding our carbs... so not really a fan. :thumbdown:

D

Darryl G

The vid showed how to remove the ethanol....add water, wait for water/ethanol to separate out remove.
But that is tedious and the resulting gasoline will be a lower octane.
I'm jus' sayin'.................

I add Star-Tron fuel treatment to my equipment if I need to store it and it's not running canned fuel. It seems to work.

I never run canned fuel, since I'm in farming country. So access to 100% gas is easy & priced right as well.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Daryl .............. what state are you in ???

Ronno6

Ronno6

Confusion?? :confused2::confused2::rolleyes:

cpurvis

cpurvis

I bought a couple cans of canned fuel just to get the cans. They're mighty handy for trimmers, chainsaws, etc.

D

Darryl G

CT, a non-attainment zone for Federal air quality standards, thus the ethanol fuel.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

CT, a non-attainment zone for Federal air quality standards, thus the ethanol fuel.

There's quite a few non etho stations up there...... This list is only part of the total amount.....

www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CT

D

Darryl G

Thanks but nope. Sadly thats mostly canned fuel listed. For pump fuel there is only 110 octane leaded race fuel and 100 octane unleaded race fuel, but that has 10% ethanol.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Thanks but nope. Sadly thats mostly canned fuel listed. For pump fuel there is only 110 octane leaded race fuel and 100 octane unleaded race fuel, but that has 10% ethanol.

Looks like the Big Corn lobby has the CT legislature in its pocket.

If it was me, I'd get a fuel tank for my pickup and mosey over to Poughkeepsie and buy a summer's worth of uncontaminated fuel.

D

Darryl G

It's because we exceed Federal air quality standards, mostly due to pollution blowing in on the prevailing westerly winds. So our fuel has to have oxygenating compounds added to reduce emissions. MTBE was the additive of choice but it caused widespread ground water contamination. So now it's ethanol that's added. I've way over simplified it but that's the basic story. I don't have issues with ethanol in my frequently used equipment. Its the stuff that sits for months. So I just use canned fuel in that equipment. I just bought my 3rd gallon for the season recently. So it's really not a significant expense or issue that I'm going to be hauling across state lines for...

T

tempforce

if you store ethanol laced fuel, add a little blue stabil in the fuel. if stabil isn't available add a little 2 stroke oil, marvel mystery oil or atf into the fuel. it will help prevent problems.

Mkala

Mkala

It's because we exceed Federal air quality standards, mostly due to pollution blowing in on the prevailing westerly winds. So our fuel has to have oxygenating compounds added to reduce emissions. MTBE was the additive of choice but it caused widespread ground water contamination. So now it's ethanol that's added. I've way over simplified it but that's the basic story. I don't have issues with ethanol in my frequently used equipment. Its the stuff that sits for months. So I just use canned fuel in that equipment. I just bought my 3rd gallon for the season recently. So it's really not a significant expense or issue that I'm going to be hauling across state lines for...

Thanks for explanation ! At least it as a good purpose, because until now I just see ethanol as something to reduce millage and storage time of gas.

C

cruzenmike

After rebuilding a couple of Nikki carbs in Briggs engines and having to replace various rubber o-rings and gaskets that failed from what is likely ethanol exposure I have switched to ethanol free in all of my equipment. As of right now it is $3.89 a gallon. I did a comparison of running e10 with ethanol shield and running e0 and it was less than 50 cents per gallon difference. I consider this to be negligible so why deal with having to mix in additives. I also keep 10-15 gallons of e0 on hand at all times and rotate the gas every 6 months regardless so I should never have a supply issue within my own garage.

A

(Account Closed)

Back around 2008, while doing maintenance on the boat engine, cowl off, I spotted something in the under cowl fuel filter.

Seems the Marine fuel line, INTERNALLY, broke down and turned to what appeared to be slimy spaghetti. This was in-between the primer valve and engine filter.

Thank you Ethanol...

Knock on wood I found it at the dock and NOT miles from land, stranded...

Common fuel lines on weed eaters brought in for repair, again, thanks ethanol: