Probably seized Honda Engine, Need help PLEASE!

Shane1981

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked it again now and the pull string was the same. To better describe it, I should say when I pull the string I could pull a little bit then it stuck, then with a little more force I could pull a little more and then it stuck again. Could the problem be from "compression release" that @cpurvis mentioned? If yes, is there a way to repair it?

dougand3

Threads
Sounds like failed compression release. 1st you have to definitively diagnose. 1st step is remove blower housing and see if flywheel brake is staying off the flywheel when bail handle is pulled closed.

Shane1981

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like failed compression release. 1st you have to definitively diagnose. 1st step is remove blower housing and see if flywheel brake is staying off the flywheel when bail handle is pulled closed.
Thanks! Yes. I checked and the flywheel brake is staying off the flywheel when bail handle is pulled closed. What's the next step?

dougand3

Threads
Pull the OHV cover and see if valves work when you pull rope. You'll watch rocker arms - when they go down - valve is opening. Intake valve opens, then closes; Exhaust valve opens, then closes. Check the valve clearances - between rocker arm and valve stem - many youtube videos.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the OHV cover and see if valves work when you pull rope. You'll watch rocker arms - when they go down - valve is opening. Intake valve opens, then closes; Exhaust valve opens, then closes. Check the valve clearances - between rocker arm and valve stem - many youtube videos.
Yes, I forgot the valve clearance issue. Having the correct valve clearance is necessary for some compression releases to work.

Shane1981

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally was able to do adjust the valve clearances last night and let the gasket silicon cure for 24 hrs (for securing valve cover) and tried the mower tonight, but it didn't work unfortunately. There was almost no clearance and I adjusted them hoping that was the issue. What else could it be?

Shane1981

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I forgot the valve clearance issue. Having the correct valve clearance is necessary for some compression releases to work.
It didn't work. I adjusted the valve clearances. what else could it be?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's when the valves have too much clearance that the compression release doesn't work. Are you sure you set the valves correctly? This time, don't put the valve cover back on before you try it to see if the problem is fixed.

This assumes your compression release is a small bump on the exhaust lobe, and that may not be a good assumption at all. Hopefully one of the pros on here who is familiar with your engine (I'm not) will help out.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's when the valves have too much clearance that the compression release doesn't work. Are you sure you set the valves correctly? This time, don't put the valve cover back on before you try it to see if the problem is fixed.

This assumes your compression release is a small bump on the exhaust lobe, and that may not be a good assumption at all. Hopefully one of the pros on here who is familiar with your engine (I'm not) will help out.
Was going to say the same thing. Might be 180 degrees out.

slomo