Preventing Oil Spillage into Cylinder When On Hills?

bwhitehorne

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2004 Troy-Bilt Pony from a guy on craigslist. It needed some TLC, so it got a fresh battery, starter solenoid, starter motor, ignition switch, spark plug, air filter, and oil change. It runs great, sounds really healthy and starts up first try everytime. However, it suffers from the same issue that most riding mowers suffer from; when on a hill, oil leaks into the cylinder and it billows out so much white smoke you would think they elected a new pope. I have a hill in my yard that is maybe 35-40 degrees and its gotta be cut. Any ideas or mods that are out there for keeping the oil from getting in the cylinder? As soon as it gets on level ground it stops smoking, so i lnow for sure that this is the issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Not much you can do with your existing set up
cut strait up and in reverse back down. listen carefully to the engine, if it starts to slow down then do a 180 as the top bush has a little well to hold oil to lubricate the the crank.
As long as the pump / paddle is in the oil it should get enough oil.
Long term you will need to get a mower that suits your yard.
Best idea however is to get a mower with a horizontal shaft engine.
Lots of old Dura track Bolens out there , old Troy Builts and Cub 2000 series
The locals should be able to provide you with an extensive list of mowers with horizontal engines,
Stay away from Zero turns which can be lethal on steep slopes.
I only know about what i have seen down here