Preventative maintenance

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have been a mechanic all my life and have replaced a lot of switches in that time. When it comes to wires and switches I don't care how good you are they will never go back the way the factory had them the first time. For one thing every time you remove a wire connector from a switch it loosens all the wire ends. Now what is going to last the longest the old switch or the new one? Yes switches do go bad but most last a lift time. Now as far as the spindle bearing go a maybe a yes go for it. lap bar shocks is nothing that would stop you from using the mower but go for it.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I have been a mechanic all my life and have replaced a lot of switches in that time. When it comes to wires and switches I don't care how good you are they will never go back the way the factory had them the first time. For one thing every time you remove a wire connector from a switch it loosens all the wire ends. Now what is going to last the longest the old switch or the new one? Yes switches do go bad but most last a lift time. Now as far as the spindle bearing go a maybe a yes go for it. lap bar shocks is nothing that would stop you from using the mower but go for it.
I did think messing around with electrical switches when not necessary would cause some long term issues.

possum

Threads
I cannot imagine why it would be any different replacing a switch now than later when it was bad. Either way it has to be unplugged and plugged back in. The spindles are alot easier to fix when you do not need the mower. The cost is the same to replace but a savings is made from less trips to the repairshop. Both are tax deductible, and since the fellow has the money now, seems like a good plan. I would think it would be a great deal easier to make back the money for the repairs while the mower is running well in the summer than it would be to try and make it back while it sets in the repair shop waiting its turn to be repaired and you are getting behind on your work.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I cannot imagine why it would be any different replacing a switch now than later when it was bad. Either way it has to be unplugged and plugged back in. The spindles are alot easier to fix when you do not need the mower. The cost is the same to replace but a savings is made from less trips to the repairshop. Both are tax deductible, and since the fellow has the money now, seems like a good plan. I would think it would be a great deal easier to make back the money for the repairs while the mower is running well in the summer than it would be to try and make it back while it sets in the repair shop waiting its turn to be repaired and you are getting behind on your work.

I can see your not seeing what I am trying to tell you so I say go for it. If someone wanted me to do that job in my shop it would be a no.

Parkmower

Threads
reynoldston said:
Sure sounds like overkill to me, You got money spend it and if you can't spend it throw it away. Why in the world would you replace parts that last the life of the mower for who knows what cheap replacements or some sloppy mechanic, you are just asking for problems. Replace switches just loosen wire ends. If it is working leave it alone.

Agree!! I only change filters and fluids regularly. I repair as needed. But I regularly go over the machines to catch anything that may be starting to go prematurely and then replace if needed.
Btw my experience is the spindles outlast the mower if properly cared for.

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
Wow! I am all for preventative maintenance, but to me that means proper fluid changes, lubing the necessary items, tire pressure checks, blade sharpening, belt checks/replacement, etc. I couldn't bring myself to replace something that was working perfectly. I could see if it was a failure prone part keeping a spare just in case, but to each their own.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Everything that was done cost a total of $489 and when you consider that if the mower should happen to go down during season it could cost me $1000 a week. I have all the parts that I had replaced so if something happens it's not a big problem to replace the stuff to keep me going.
If the mower had been used for home use only I wouldn't have done things the same way, it would have been if it ani't broke don't fix it method but I use it for my business and I've always been one to take care of my equipment and to try and think long term and I thought it was a pretty cheap investment considering my equipment makes my house payments.:smile:

The thing I like about this thread is that nobody here is wrong in whats been posted. I appreciate the input.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Wow! I am all for preventative maintenance, but to me that means proper fluid changes, lubing the necessary items, tire pressure checks, blade sharpening, belt checks/replacement, etc. I couldn't bring myself to replace something that was working perfectly. I could see if it was a failure prone part keeping a spare just in case, but to each their own.
Yes, I agree.

I collect Vacuum Cleaners (mostly vintage), and if I went around changing motor bearings, agitator roll bearings, impellers and power switches yearly when they weren't displaying any signs of wear, I would be wasting a lot of good parts.