Premium Gas

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
We all recognize the advantages of E0 versus E10 but I've never heard of E0 improving carb. performance. What is it about non-ethanol gas that would lead to carbonator cleanout after a month's use? The same applies to premium versus regular; higher octane usually doesn't translate to performance improvement by itself.
Correct, higher octane will not improve performance unless the compression ratio of the engine is high enough to require it.

But higher octane fuels generally have different additives, such as the quantity of detergent in the higher priced fuels.

cruzenmike

Threads
I understand what you say and agree but that doesn't mean switching to E0 will undo anything caused by E10 - as far as I know. The OP suggested that E0 isn't just less harmful but will also undo E10 damage.
You are correct, you cannot undo the harmful effects of ethanol once they have happened.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another little known fuel fact:

Higher octane fuel has a lower specific gravity than lower octane fuels.

Who cares? Probably nobody but that means you're paying more to get fewer BTU's per gallon. Simply put, if your engine doesn't require it, you'll burn more of that expensive fuel to do the same work that can be done with less of the less expensive fuel.

We buy fuel by the gallon (a volume measurement) but burn it by the pound (a mass measurement). This accounts for about half of the efficiency advantage of diesel engines.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Anyone else seen a drastic increase in gas prices the last ten days? April 26 I paid $.96 for E87. Today the price is $1.64. I’ve seen it go up before, but $.70 in less than two weeks when they say there is no shortage.

deminin

Threads
Anyone else seen a drastic increase in gas prices the last ten days? April 26 I paid $.96 for E87. Today the price is $1.64. I’ve seen it go up before, but $.70 in less than two weeks when they say there is no shortage.

No major changes around here....mid Missouri. E87 prices have been staying around $1.40 for the past month, and I gassed up yesterday for $ 1.38. Crude oil prices have begun to come back to a more normal range...$20+/barrel in recent days, so I expect as that price stabilizes, and more people begin to get out of the house again, we may see prices rising a bit. I doubt we will see anything like the $4 a gallon we saw a few years ago.