Power wash the house

cren

Threads
Has anyone done this before? Right now we have a hose hookup in the front but not the back (no idea why either), so we can spray the house off when it gets windy and gets the dirt kicked up, but we are thinking of hiring someone for a professional job. Help?

RockHound

Threads
Yeah, I've done it before. It's not that hard. A pressure washer can be rented for a reasonable rate at your local tool rental place if you don't have a friend with one. If you have vinyl siding, the only thing you have to remember is don't wash facing the seam, wash the other way so you don't tear your siding off.

BlueGrass

Threads
I need to do this too. The house we bought was vacant for 3 years so there is a lot of dirt on the outside. I hate seeing houses get neglected when the owners can't afford to stay anymore.

jd335

Threads
I was in the cleaning business for 6 years and if you have algie or mildew on your siding if you don't want to do it again next year it's best to use a hot water preasure washer that has a cemical pump on it so you can apply the cleaner before you get the siding wet what ever type cleaner you use add 1 pint of bleach to 5 gallons of cleaner the hot water and the bleach will kill the bacteria that causes the green and black on your siding when you spray the cleaner on spray from bottom up so you don't have streaks in our part of the country this method works for about 5 years

mamaA

Threads
My husband has power washed our house several times. I noticed the back of my parents' house the other day needs it done really, really bad. I think they may hire someone though. I think it just depends on if you have access to a sprayer.

rekees

Threads
Need to be careful with those. Never under estimate the power of water. If you are going to clean your house and/or other things regularly you might want to consider buying a good one in the $300 - $400 range. Just use a longer hose to hookup to the front and spray the back. Also don't recommend spraying asphalt shingles.

Last edited:

Usedtorent

Threads
That is one thing I bought when I bought the house. I power washed it last weekend. I can't believe how much nicer it looks. I think it's important to have the outside of your house in tip top shape! Makes a great 1st impression!

jd335

Threads
Need to be careful with those. Never under estimate the power of water. If you are going to clean your house and/or other things regularly you might want to consider buying a good one in the $300 - $400 range. Just use a longer hose to hookup to the front and spray the back. Also don't recommend spraying asphalt shingles.
always remember never use a number under 40 degrees tip when washing siding or most anything other than concret the tip numbers go like 40-25-15-0