Export thread

Poulan Pro Weed Eater dies on throttle

M

mitch611

I have a Poulan Pro trimmer that will start according to instructions: pump bulb 6 times, place in full choke, pull to start. Wait a few minutes and then throttle. It dies every time I hit the throttle. Can't pump throttle to keep running, it just dies. Have not tried pumping bulb while throttling. Any ideas?

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Sounds like it's due for a carburetor rebuild (or new carburetor), plus fuel lines and fuel filter. What model is your Poulan? (I can also tell from looking at a picture of it, so just post a picture if you don't know. )

W

weathda

I have a cub cadet 3000 which is now about 16 years old. Couple of years ago, it did the exact thing you describe. Started good, ran good at idle, but the minute I applied throttle it died. The trimmer head was worn out and I'd replaced fuel lines a couple of years before. I didn't want to pour anymore money into it, so I figured I'd take the carb off, clean it real good and stick it back on. IF it worked - great, if not, I'd buy another trimmer.

Cleaned the carb and low and behold it worked - ran at full throttle. I had to adjust the idle up on it to keep it running, but it ran great all last year and started up great this year. I even sprang for a new reel head and bump knob for it. Cut for an hour with it just last week.

Use Seafoam gas treatment in your small engines. It works wonders.

M

mitch611

20190418_153137.jpg

As long as I leave full choke on and don't touch the throttle, it runs at full speed but if I bump the throttle or choke, it immediately dies.

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-CRAFTS...760364&hash=item1eb432c93e:g:2tAAAOxyuPtQ9qj~

Here's a new carburetor.

When replacing the carburetor, you should also replace the fuel lines and filter.

The carburetor can be rebuilt, but it takes some skill to do properly.