Repairs Poulan Pro PP19A42 Front wheel bent outwards

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Interesting
I am yet to see one where the arm has bent
All of the ones I have done the drag link itself has bent
So we fix a bad part by bending a good part ?
Hmmm. I had one late last year where both front spindles were bent nearly u shape and the front axle twisted. Just don't know if it was the falling off the back of pickup while going down the highway had anything to do with it or not. Axle was available but spindles weren't. Just told go buy another used mower.

judbgrdmchn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Interesting
I am yet to see one where the arm has bent
All of the ones I have done the drag link itself has bent
So we fix a bad part by bending a good part ?
If it works...yes. It's a fast & free fix which doesn't require a welder, angle grinder, bench vise, tap & dies, etc. A lot of people don't have specialty tools, but a pipe & a big pipe wrench are pretty common. If you have the time, money, & knowledge to do a professional job then knock yourself out. The rest of us are happy with a fast & cheap fix that works & requires minimal tools.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it works...yes. It's a fast & free fix which doesn't require a welder, angle grinder, bench vise, tap & dies, etc. A lot of people don't have specialty tools, but a pipe & a big pipe wrench are pretty common. If you have the time, money, & knowledge to do a professional job then knock yourself out. The rest of us are happy with a fast & cheap fix that works & requires minimal tools.
The problem comes if the "fix" weakens the parts to the point they bend worse and it becomes a warranty repair at cost to me
Fine if it is your mower and you drive it remembering that you could have weakened the steering
And it costs nothing but time to remove the drag links then bend / straiten them using the said same tools
The arm is welded to the king pin
Welds are nothing more than a casting ( people often forget that ) and castings are by nature brittle which is one reason why welds fail .
So no not a good idea and goes in the pile of "Redneck bodges "
A new drag link is $ 65 down here
A new front axel unit is $ 295 and for some models NLA so that makes it a no brainer