Poulan Pro 46" needs to be constantly jump started..

Moonjackal

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I purchased my first used Poulan Pro 46" last fall. It was a 2016 model.

It takes a little bit to get started and will only start with Jumper cables.

I thought it might just need a new battery so I went and purchased a brand new battery. But the same problems persist and still it needs to be jumped every time to get it going.

So today I started it up and got it going after around 10 mins. Drove it around the yard a couple times and then turned it off. Tried starting it a minute later and the battery was completely dead...

I checked all wires, cables etc. and they all look to be in great condition no corrosion or anything. But I just can't figure out why it wont hold a charge even with a new battery.
Any help would be appreciated in this matter.

Thank you

mower.jpg

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
check all electrical connections by hand making sure they are tight & secure, especially battery ground & ground strap or cable from engine to chassis or frame.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like a problem with the charging circuit.
But before we get stuck into that, do as Mark has suggested,
Jump start the mower and check the voltage across the battery terminal both DC & AC.
Good chance the rectifier is gone & you are getting AC to the battery which will not charge the battery & can destroy some of the cheaper ones.
We need to see a couple of photos of the wiring from the engine, the plug around the dip stick tube.
Briggs colour code the wires coming from the alternator & the alternator wire plug.

Moonjackal

Forum Newbie
Threads
Picture of more wiring that I didn't film on video.

20190327_191412.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK so you got the basic single diode system.
Unplug that white connector , start the engine then check the AC & DC between the thick wire and ground.
If you see wildly changing DC but a fairly constant AC then the diode is probably shot.
Confirm this by getting a pin and piercing the wire about 1" or so higher than the connector.
Using the Ohms readings measure between the pin & the end of the terminal.
Should be 0 one way and infinity (O/L) with the probes reversed.
If not the diode is definately cactus.
It is a PIA to replace particularly if you are not a dab hand with a soldering iron.

I do it with the wires plugged into the mower to prevent the terminal getting too hot & softening the plastic, I am not a dab hand.

Moonjackal

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK so you got the basic single diode system.
Unplug that white connector , start the engine then check the AC & DC between the thick wire and ground.
If you see wildly changing DC but a fairly constant AC then the diode is probably shot.
Confirm this by getting a pin and piercing the wire about 1" or so higher than the connector.
Using the Ohms readings measure between the pin & the end of the terminal.
Should be 0 one way and infinity (O/L) with the probes reversed.
If not the diode is definately cactus.
It is a PIA to replace particularly if you are not a dab hand with a soldering iron.

I do it with the wires plugged into the mower to prevent the terminal getting too hot & softening the plastic, I am not a dab hand.

Thanks,. When I get home from work today I will mess around with it some more and post results.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
check your owners manual for battery's CCA, make sure your new battery has enough cold cranking amps, if so remove battery & return to place of purchase & ask them to load test battery, should be of no charge to you, any local auto parts store can load test your battery for free. this will let you know if battery is good or not. your new battery has to have enough cold cranking amps to start engine.