Possiable TRASH IN OIL ?

aka rotten

Threads
Tecumseh 6.5 hp. push mower. Went to change oil on daughters mower and broke head off darn nylon oil dump bolt. Drilled hole thru center and removed rest with easy out.Need to change oil but wondering how to make sure about small pieces of trash from darn nylon bolt. If possible without removing sump from engine. Could you fill sump with something and drain? Cant believe my old eyes they used nylon for oil drain. Engine and mower runs great otherwise.Paul

Pumper54

Threads
When I need to clean out older motorcycle oil tanks I put some kerosene in it and then rock it back and forth before draining it. Do it a couple of times and if you wish pour it out through a paper coffee filter to double check for stuff. If possible tie a white cloth to a stick and run it around inside the tank to check. If the plastic plug was white use a dark colored cloth.
Tom

Last edited:

possum

Threads
I drilled one out in 2011, cleaned it out as good as I could with my finger and put in a metal one to replace it. That was over a hundred hours ago on that mower and no problems. I have never had the plug out since then. Just tip it.

aka rotten

Threads
When I need to clean out older motorcycle oil tanks I put some kerosene in it and then rock it back and forth before draining it. Do it a couple of times and if you wish pour it out through a paper coffee filter to double check for stuff. If possible tie a white cloth to a stick and run it around inside the tank to check. If the plastic plug was white use a dark colored cloth.
Tom

GOOD IDEA,DIDNT THINK ABOUT KEROSENE AT ALL.I,M 84 AND DIDNT THINK ABOUT DARN BOLT BEING NYLON EITHER.THANKS,PAUL

577jersey

Threads
Yeah if your worried about it that much i would fill it with kero and turn the machine on its side and just dump it out the fill spout through a screen covered pan so u can see when it comes out..
I never mess with those nylon bolts I usually just warm up the engine and dump oil out the fill spout on all my small motors.
I dont think a little bit of nylon will hurt much in that engine but I know how you feel.

Tom