Export thread

Pop up ads all over the page.

P

Pumper54

Is it just me or is any one else having pop up ads showing up all over the scree? They start at the top of the page but then appear at the bottom and then in the middle of the page. Kind of a pain in the rear end.

Tom

Boobala

Boobala

NOT on mine Tom .........

B

bertsmobile1

It is a coding thing.
Some browsers will just put the add on the top & bottom where they are supposed to be others will put them all over the page or just hang because the browser can not understand the script.
happens because geeks who code the adds are trying to show how smart they are and always use the lattest & greatest .
Older systems can not handle the newer codes and the geeks can not understand why everyone does not spend thousands every year upgrading to the very newest versions of everything.

I have about 20 web pages on the web.
Coded in HTML 2 we are up to 5.1 now days.
Thus my pages download fully before you fingers are off the keyboard and get millions of hits.
They have permanent banner adds and the owners are over the moon with the click through they get so they pay good money to have them there.
What takes all the time is the web page interrogating your browser for where you have been in order to display customised adds that you never look at.

Nothing showing on mine, but I have my filters turned up..

cpurvis

cpurvis

Adblocker is only showing two blocked ads on this page.

P

Pumper54

Thanks for the replies. Guess I need to look a little harder at my filters. I don't mind when the ad is at the top of the page but when it starts bouncing all over and blocking the threads that is when it starts to get me angry. Just reset an "opt out" filter, now will see what happened.
Tom

B

bertsmobile1

Thanks for the replies. Guess I need to look a little harder at my filters. I don't mind when the ad is at the top of the page but when it starts bouncing all over and blocking the threads that is when it starts to get me angry. Just reset an "opt out" filter, now will see what happened.
Tom

You also might have a trojan in there that is allowing adds to over ride your computes security.
If you have a habit of clicking on one of those "Do you know this about ( stick a TV show or movie name in here ) " that has you clicking all over the place or any similar thing like silly tests that cause you to do a lot of clicking then you have unwittingly downloaded & installed trojans.
Similar things that are running inside another app like face book are OK but the ones that pop up around a normal page are always suspect.
IF the add is confined to the window space of the forum window then it has most likely originated from the forum.
If they extend over the edges of the forum window then they are from another app running on your computer.

M

Muhammad

Yes, we added a few more ads over the weekend... gotta pay the bills. :laughing:

Having said that we want to make sure it doesn't make your browsing unpleasant.

Are you using a desktop or mobile device to access?

Does the ad cover a large part of the screen?

I've tested on my devices and don't have any ads popping up across the entire screen but there may be an error or implementation issue causing incorrect and desirable display.

B

bertsmobile1

WFIW I get 2 or 3 banner adds.
One on the top about to get mowed over
A second in the white space that the "google search" is in and a third at the bottom above the Grass.

However the bottom one oft goes edge to edge and obscures the bottom of the page.
The PIA bit is the window continually expand & contracts vertically as the pop up pop in & pop out.
A couple of times the top add has cascaded down the screen but refreshing the tab corrects this.
I am running an older version of Firefox ported for linux on an older mac so I don't expect things to work perfectly.

P

Pumper54

Yes, we added a few more ads over the weekend... gotta pay the bills. :laughing:

Having said that we want to make sure it doesn't make your browsing unpleasant.

Are you using a desktop or mobile device to access?

Does the ad cover a large part of the screen?

I've tested on my devices and don't have any ads popping up across the entire screen but there may be an error or implementation issue causing incorrect and desirable display.

Thank you so very much for your help here. I am using a desk top computer. The ads in question are website related ie equipment/mower ads with a few non-mower thrown in. They are "strip ads" which appear at the top or bottom of the screen and then sometimes there will be two or more of the same ad on the screen top and bottom or top and middle, middle and bottom. When I click on the X box they go away but it gets to be a pain in the rear end to do it all the time. I selected the "ad blocker" option on the ads so I will see if that works.
Thank you again
Tom

R

Rivets

These ads are driving me nuts and my IPad does not show a way to block them. Can close them, but as soon as I change screens they’re back. Top, middle, bottom and as I’m using an iPad covers much of the screen.

B

bertsmobile1

Yes, I will have to agree with you Rivets.
The top 2 are tolerable except that the window perpetually resizes as they come & go so the text one is trying to read bounce all over the screen which makes using the site right royal PIA.
However the bottom floating add is a disaster as it regularly covers the text and even worse continually tries to run scripts that my computer can not resolve , causing firefox to freeze while the draw or download script hyjacks the processor.
Then the 35 words I have typed suddenly appear.
If you are going to put adds in MAKE THEM STATIC so they don't hyjack the processor.
Continually having to force quit the restart is the pits.
Then there is the "SEE HOW SMART WE ARE" coders who put in a square add that really stuffs up the page.

And the bottom add is the real troublemaker.
A close button appears then the screen freezes from 5 to 15 seconds while the add is generated.
Bannar adds are fine if they go into a fixed size portal in a fixed position which either has an add in there or the background.
As a lot of the adds that appear are for local businesses I assume the add script is interrogating my cashe & browser history in order to send ne location specific adds.
This eventually causes Firefox to hang because the "Script is Unresponsive"
Having adds with moving images will do nothing but get people angry enough to leave full stop.'

Not every body optical fibre connections and 10Gb /sec download speeds.

There is a really nice blank space within the "Similar Threads" box where that mongrel bottom add could go, be a standard size and not cause so much grief.
I appreciate the need to sell advertising space but these new adds are the pits

M

Muhammad

Okay, how about now?

B

bertsmobile1

Okay, how about now?

I will answer that is a few days.
The window was a lot more stable today but it still bounces around which should not happen if the adds are displayed in a fixed size portal which either displays the add or the regular background.
I do appreciate your efforts.
It is a fine line between raising revenue & keeping the members happy.

FWIW no freezes today

M

Muhammad

We disabled the bottom ad for members who are signed in. We don't want the experience for members who are doing more navigation than most visitors to be compromised.

P

Pumper54

I have not been bothered by the pop ups the past few days but I did resit my spam filter and ad blocker on my computer. I do understand the need to generate revenue for the site but the way those ads bouncing around made me not want to come here. A big Thank you to the Admin here for addressing this issue.
Tom

R

Rivets

Better for me.

NorthBama

NorthBama

Much better for me also thank you

B

bertsmobile1

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

R

Rivets

Last few days wierd things have started to happen. When trying to use the reply screen, it keeps jumping around while typing, changing sizes, and I’ve even lost my reply before I finished typing and send it. Today, while moving between threads, I’ll loose my login, but I don’t have to relog in. Just hit the back arrow a few times and I’m back logged in. Anyone else having these problems?

BlazNT

BlazNT

No, but email has almost completely stopped.

M

Muhammad

While using ipad? Are you seeing the full site version or the mobile version of the site? Full site has the larger green nav bar at the top.

R

Rivets

Full sight version, same as when I’m on my computer. Have not noticed size changes while on the computer, but spend 90% of the time on the IPad.

B

bertsmobile1

While the removal of the lower adds has improved things a bit and prevented most of the unresponsive script hangs, we still have the resizing problem.
I view the forum on a 32" screen set to a fine resolution so it is tollerable but the pop up nearly always cause a window redraw.
This naturally causes the text to bounce all over the place as the window expands in order to fit the add in or contracts as the add vanishes.
It is very annoying as the type bounces up & down on the screen.
I have no idea about the contract to carry advertising but you should be able to code in a fixed sized transparent portal for the adds to appear in.
This would then stop the window redrawing as we would see either the add or the background and the window would then be stable.

M

Muhammad

While the removal of the lower adds has improved things a bit and prevented most of the unresponsive script hangs, we still have the resizing problem.
I view the forum on a 32" screen set to a fine resolution so it is tollerable but the pop up nearly always cause a window redraw.
This naturally causes the text to bounce all over the place as the window expands in order to fit the add in or contracts as the add vanishes.
It is very annoying as the type bounces up & down on the screen.
I have no idea about the contract to carry advertising but you should be able to code in a fixed sized transparent portal for the adds to appear in.
This would then stop the window redrawing as we would see either the add or the background and the window would then be stable.

I'm really not sure what you're experiencing because none of the ads should be resizing the screen or causing the window to redraw. I'll try to figure it out though.

B

bertsmobile1

What happens is when the pop ups pop up some of them are bigger ( taller ) than others
Right now the Ebay one just came in & went out, and the window did not change.
The following add was thinner and the whole reply pane moved up the screen about 1/4"
Then there was no add and the pane moved another 1/4" up the page .
The top bar add always fits between the black bar at the top of the window & the bottom off the grass in the headder.
So that is fine
The second strip add rarely sits neatly in the blank space between the thread navigation bar and the top green bar
It looks like the text ( Reply to Thread) is justified to the bottom of a text box with a blank line above that goes completely across the page
So then the 2nd strip add loads it expands the window, we might be using redraw in different sense , so I will just call it expand as the screen does not go blank, it just moves down.
So if the 2nd strip add is the same size as the top strip add the window expands around 1/2".
I run Firefox full screen so the movement is just annoying but if the window is narrower it can cause the text input to drop off my screen.
Now this could be because you are using functions not available on my older browser version.
Then every now & then the 2nd strip add draws bigger then the top strip add and this pushes the region of the screen I am using even further down the page.
How much the screen bounces around depends upon haw fast the adds cycle and their sizes.
So it looks like some formatting is needed for the space where the second strip add loads.
A Mitsubishi add has just appeared, it was dynamic and while the image was changing it hyjacked my processor so what I was typing did not appear till the add vanished.
Most of the time there are no adds at all but I suppose that is a regional thing as I only get regional adds for things I have bought or places I have been.
Then some times the top two adds are identical but the lower add draws larger than the top add which pushes the screen even further down.

When typing a reply it is not too bad apart from your eyes being forced to bounce up & down but if you are reading a post near the bottom of the screen then the entire section you are reading will vanish off the screen as it gets pushed lower than the viewing area.
I took a couple of images to show you this.

There is a problem with a lot of web developers & designers who only run the lattest versions of everything on the most modern equipment and don't bother to check their fancy dancy handiwork will actually work properly on older machines and older browsers.

Took a couple of screen shots to illustrate

no add.jpg

No add

with add.jpg

Normal size add

B

bertsmobile1

Naturally I could not get a big add to pop up but I hope those two images show you what is happening.
On a wide screen it is not too bad now the bottom add has gone but on a narrow screen it would drive one mad.

B

bertsmobile1

OK
Had a few minutes spare to play silly buggers and get a screen shot
You might like to ask Google why their adds are causing your customers computers to crash ( well hang in my case )

this is the motzilla error message
I will add a few more when I get 1/2 hour to spare which is about how long it takes to get a screen shot because the script is consuming the entire processor.

unresponsive .jpg

M

Muhammad

Okay, I will look into this.

R

Rivets

Still having a problem with my screen size constantly changing. This all started when advertising was added to the site. Drives me nuts while I’m trying to make a reply, hopefully you can find the problem or have a remedy. Thank you.

M

Muhammad

Yes I do have a solution for you. All the way at the bottom of the page you can select a different forum theme. We have one called Old School LMF which has no ads on it. You're welcome to use that one instead. No guarantees that we'll always have it but for the time being that should be ad free.

attachment.php

Attachments

1bert1

I agree with bertsmobil1. Sounds like you have malware on your computer. What version of Windows are you running? The best way to see if you have malware is to boot your computer in safe mode without networking. Then open this site or any other that you have all those popups with same browser. If you tell me what operating system you have it would be helpful.