Poor cutting

mainsail

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a brand new HRX217HZA that is doing a terrible job cutting when used as a mulching mower. It leaves a strip of uncut grass several inches wide even when I made sure the deck was clean. I measured the effective width that it's cutting and it's only 17". The manual suggests a counterclockwise pattern of cutting which I tried and it is improved. However, the layout of my yard makes this a pain and pretty much everyone I know cuts back and forth. If I try that, it looks like a drunk did the cutting.
I called the place I purchased it from (Mowers Direct) and they said call Honda. Honda said they don't have a technical support line and call the dealer and so it goes in a circle.
I told Honda that I bought a 21" mower that is capable of both mulching and bagging, not a 17" mulching mower or a 21" bagging mower.
Hoping someone has some suggestions.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
No wonder they call it the 217. Only a 17 inch wide cut.

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Another reason I always recommend buying from a dealer. My recommendation to you is bite the bullet and go take to an authorized Honda dealer. They should be able to evaluate the problem and get you back on the right track. With that said I would also call Honda again and explain your problem and have them suggest a dealer to go to. Even though I am a Toro guy, Honda makes a good unit and I’m surprised that you were treated that way. Times I’ve dealt with Honda, they’ve proven to have a quality customer service department. Can’t help much more as this is a problem where being there is almost a must.

gotomow

Threads
You can use the mulch director and move it about 1/2 way between bag and mulch and if you are not cutting a ton off the top you can get near the bagging results and still not have to empty as much. I get about the same results as you when I don't bag. I guess if you are not cutting a big lawn it is a good reliable mower it's just some things it does not do well as you know. If you decide to keep it let me know and I can tell you what helps me with the HRX.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of the mulching problems come from failure to understand the 3:1 ratio
If you are cutting too much off the top of the grass or cutting too low then it can not mulch properly.
The biggest selling mulching mower down here eventually put a decal behind the height adjuster with colour bars on it.
1" to 4.5" catching 3" to 4.5" mulching.
And that is just an average which does not take into account the type of grass being grown.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've seen this, is your blade on upside down?

slomo