Plowing uneven sidewalks

thaugen

Forum Newbie
Threads
The sidewalks are all heaved up by huge trees and the plow on my riding mower catches on the concrete slab edges. I'm thinking I need a couple of leading edges out in front of the blade that help the blade ride up and over the obstructions. Any suggestions on purchase or plans to build them?
Thanks, Tom

noma

Threads
Hi thaugen I was think about how two small rubber wheels one on each side would work where the skids are then it would just roll over the cracks on your sidewalk. You might have to make a bracket to attach the wheels to and bolt the bracket to the snow blower. It might leave a little snow on the sidewalk depending how high you have the wheels set. Just a idea good luck :thumbsup::licking:

thaugen

Forum Newbie
Threads
OP replies: I have a plow, not a blower but anyway, I was thinking about making two runners. Sorta like skids but instead of flat bottoms they would be shaped like two knife blades set vertically to slice through the unplowed snow in front of the plow blade. Then near the back would be a skateboard wheel. So the steel knives would act like inclined planes to lift the plow blade and then the wheel would help the plow get completely above the concrete lip.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I tried the skids on mine and they didn't work out very well on uneven ground. I put small steel wheels on mine and it works just fine now.

thaugen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried the skids on mine and they didn't work out very well on uneven ground. I put small steel wheels on mine and it works just fine now.

OP replies: Thanks for that. My problem is concrete slabs sticking up as much as 3 inches, almost like a shallow step. I just had the thought I could cut the teeth off a couple of 10" circular table saw blades and mount them out front as first contact with the concrete, sorta like 1/8th inch thick wheels.

possum

Threads
I wish you all the luck in the world. That being said most folks I know who try to plow concrete of that type end up with a broken plow or a broken sidewalk or both. Tree roots are heck on sidewalks and driveways.