PLEASE HELP ME! I've been told I have bad gas... but about my Hustler SuperZ60"...

dr1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / PLEASE HELP ME! I've been told I have bad gas... but about my Hustler SuperZ60"...
PLEASE HELP ME! I've been told I have bad gas... but about my Hustler SuperZ60"...

:biggrin: we have a 5-year-old super Z that we had serviced by the local company we bought from until they moved two years ago. Last year I got a grease gun, took off the deck and sharpened the blades, & changed the oil, and hydraulic oil myself. Everything went fine last year... We use our mower through the winter as well so I really didn't add any gas additives... This summer when we started using it on a regular basis after the first use started missing out for the next couple cuts and losing power, now there's a huge power loss... I had been told by one neighbor he thinks it may be a gas gumming issue, I'm not so sure it's not belts, or something else... Any recommendations from the pros out there? Any quick replies would be greatly appreciated

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / PLEASE HELP ME! I've been told I have bad gas... but about my Hustler SuperZ60"...
Re: PLEASE HELP ME! I've been told I have bad gas... but about my Hustler SuperZ60"..

Not familiar with that particular machine, but would check a few things.

Air Filter - may look clean and still need to be changed.
Fuel Filter - may be clogged.
Try some Seafoam or Gumout fuel system cleaner - Any similar product should clean out the system if it runs.
Spark Plugs ?
Adjustments on belt tensions etc.

Have you checked the Hustler web site ? They may have a troubleshooting section or even a help line that might be able to narrow down your problems and offer suggestions.

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Re: PLEASE HELP ME! I've been told I have bad gas... but about my Hustler SuperZ60"..

Just about any manufacturer today recommends the use of a fuel stabilizer. The gasoline has more light factions, etc. in it, which while allowing more gas to be produced from a barrel of oil, results in quicker deterioration. Generally not a problem for cars that fill up every week (although I wonder about hybrids). I've used a fuel stabilzer (StaBil) every time I buy gas, summer or winter for the mower. It takes me more than 30 days to go through 2 1/2 gallons. There is now a product that you can add after the fact, just don't remember the name, maybe "fresh-start."

Larry R

Threads

:biggrin: we have a 5-year-old super Z that we had serviced by the local company we bought from until they moved two years ago. Last year I got a grease gun, took off the deck and sharpened the blades, & changed the oil, and hydraulic oil myself. Everything went fine last year... We use our mower through the winter as well so I really didn't add any gas additives... This summer when we started using it on a regular basis after the first use started missing out for the next couple cuts and losing power, now there's a huge power loss... I had been told by one neighbor he thinks it may be a gas gumming issue, I'm not so sure it's not belts, or something else... Any recommendations from the pros out there? Any quick replies would be greatly appreciated

If it has the Honda GVX530 you have valve problems. If it will run good for a few minutes after a cool down and draining the gas from the carb---back off the drain screw at the side/bottom and allow the carb to empty. If it is cutting good and thens starts losing power the valves are stuck. I always use ethanol treatment, Stabil, and Sea Foam but it didn't help this Honda.