Please help me decide!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Craftsman is made by MTD. And they're almost exactly the same as a troybilt. IMO, not worth the money in any capacity.
If I was in your shoes, I'd buy a used Husqvarna with a few minor known problems. You probably pick one up for $500 to $800.
If anything other than an engine or transmission problem, even if you have to take it to a shop for the repairs, you'll come out a lot cheaper. And have a much better mower than anything new that's made by MTD.
John Deere isn't a bad product. But usually the cost of parts and repairs are more expensive.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Craftsman is made by MTD. And they're almost exactly the same as a troybilt. IMO, not worth the money in any capacity.
If I was in your shoes, I'd buy a used Husqvarna with a few minor known problems. You probably pick one up for $500 to $800.
If anything other than an engine or transmission problem, even if you have to take it to a shop for the repairs, you'll come out a lot cheaper. And have a much better mower than anything new that's made by MTD.
John Deere isn't a bad product. But usually the cost of parts and repairs are more expensive.
Are you sure about that ?
Most of the craftsman ride ons I see are out of the AYP ( Husqvarna factory )

Rocky J

Threads
Some are MTD and some are AYP , but the one that is listed he is looking at is MTD , Like you I thought they were all AYP until I Googled it, made me a little sick, I really like the AYP ,

EGO Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone! Nice to "meet" you. I'm a first-time riding mower purchaser. We don't have too big a yard (about 1/3 acre) and it's not too hilly. There are a few obstacles (trees, flowers, etc.), but nothing too troublesome.

I am between two models at Lowe's - one is a John Deere 42" 17.5 HP and one is a Craftsman 42" 18 HP.

The John Deere stands out because it's...John Deere. John Deere is known for this stuff. But, the Craftsman model has a hydrostatic transmission (the John Deere has an automatic) and a turn radius of 5 inches (as opposed to a turn radius of 18 inches for the John Deere).

Both have cast iron axles. Both are pretty similar with respect to other features (as far as I can tell).

The John Deere is $1600. The Craftsman is $1800, but is on sale for $1650.

Any help, feedback, and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Get a battery operated lawnmower if you can. they're better..

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you sure about that ?
Most of the craftsman ride ons I see are out of the AYP ( Husqvarna factory )

The ones that are sold around here, IIRC, actually have MTD on the label. I can't tell the difference between those models and the Troybilts.

EGO Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey now. This is a small engine forum. You trying to help ruin our livelihood? LoL.
No friend lol. I wish they had battery operated mower and battery forums. Am I missing something?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had some stuff that needs fixing, so i stuck it out front. And had a lot of traffic in here yesterday. And one customer. This all when we're just cleaning up and organizing everything. Just the location alone, I think is going to be enough to keep me busy.
Time to order some work orders, tags and business cards.
Will look into the webpage later. At the moment, I don't have a lot of time.
The shops compressor pump went out and I offered to buy a new one. (cheap one from Harbor Freight)

After putting the owners stuff on the radiator side of the shop, I can tell, I'm still gonna need more room, soon enough.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.