Export thread

Plastic Cam Gear FD590V

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

I know that there has been problems with the plastic cam on some of these engines. My engine has 998.0 hours. I was wondering do I need to make plans to replace the plastic gear now or wait until it self destructs?

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

If it were my engine I would replace the gear. It could mess up something else if you let it destroy itself.

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

i'm thinking the same thing. i wonder what the labor bill would be if i took it to my john deere dealer would be?

M

motoman

I do not take my craftsman in, but labor rates for cars runs up to $125/ hour at big upscale shops. So small engine mechanics ought to get $35-$50/ hour or go bust. I'm winging this , but ignoring any flat rate manual of which I am unaware...Even the best mechanic would spend several hours tearing down to the cam gear , including cleaning before and "careful" assembly. With parts I imagine you would face a minimum $200 bill.

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

i would be happy paying 200.00 for the job. i was thinking more like 300.00-400.00. thanks for the info!

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

does Kawasaki (or john deere) offer a kit to replace the cam shaft along with the needed gaskets?

BlazNT

BlazNT

i'm thinking the same thing. i wonder what the labor bill would be if i took it to my john deere dealer would be?

John Deere dealer would be around $80 to $100 an hour. That adds up quick.

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

it sure does! i'd try to do it myself but i'm not sure that i can or have the tools needed.

B

bertsmobile1

Removing & replacing the engine has a 2.5 Hrs chargable rate before you start.
So you can cut 1/3 off the price by supplying them the engine only.
You will get a better job if you thoroughly clean the engine before you take it to them.
No mechanic enjoys cleaning crud off engines.
Engine strips have 3 chargable hours + extra time for specific tasks
Thus you are up for somewhere around 6 hours labour.
The gestimates are way off.
You are looking at $ 500 for labour + parts and I would imagine being that it is a Kawaka you could add about the same amount for parts.
Drive in drive out.
A smaller repair only workshop will do the job a bit quicker as at this time of the season the workshops in the glass fronts will be flat out doing pre-deliveries and there is substantially more money in selling a new mower than fixing an old engine so big repairs are not likely to get a high priority

Carscw

Carscw

2.5 hours to remove and install a engine.
I need to open a shop.
Never have took more then a hour.

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

if i decide to do the upgrade, i will be removing the engine myself.

javjacob

javjacob

Good choice! I did the same with my 345. I pulled the engine out, cleaned it up and had my friend who is a mechanic do it. He only charged me a friend rate of $100. Along with the cam/gear and gaskets I also got a water pump, oil pump gear, gov gears and the upgraded fuel pump. I also replaced the radiator hoses and flushed the radiator out.

The upgraded fuel pump has a drain hose that goes down through the frame. The original pump doesn't have a drain hose and if it fails like it did on mine it sprays fuel on the exhaust. Luckily mine didn't catch on fire :eek:

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

i will do the same. i replaced the antifreeze and all hoses earlier this spring. i should have done the cam swap then. oh well lol

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

talked to my dealer friday. labor would be 75.00 per hour for 3 hours with ME taking the engine out and taking it to them.

javjacob

javjacob

$225 labor isn't too bad in all reality. That's if you don't have any other choices.

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

I probably will be thinking the same once I get into it.

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

hello guys,

i will be doing the cam swap soon, if nothing happens. do any of you that have done this have any tips?

thanks!