Picking a new used zero turn

caleb90

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, new here. I am looking to buy my first zero turn, have to mow about 3.5-4 acer of yard that is not flat. Tryin to decide if i should buy a newer used residential mower with zt2800 and bigger trans axles, that way they are servicable. Or buy an older commercial unit for the same money but has 600 hrs or more. Lmk thanks

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
depends on the brand of mowers

caleb90

Forum Newbie
Threads
The ones in question are hustler raptor, gravely zt50hd, and a john deere 717a

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Getting the right ZTR for your lawn is a lot more complicated than just this and in every brand there are good models & not so good models and some are just plain useless ( MTD & Husqvarna + all of their other brands )
So if you want good advise you need to provide us with good information
1) the topography of your plot
2) how regularly you mow
3) what type of grass
4) how tall you like to cut it
5) the EXACT models under consideraton
6) your level of mechanical aptitude
7) Bag, Throw or mulch
8) climate snows ? long dry summers or winters ? 10 or more 100+ days heavy frosts heavy dew
Once upon a time a now extinct species called a mower sales person would ask you these questions then make a suggestion
Now days they either point you towards what has the biggest profit or at a mower that has run out of free credit time & they need to pay the factory for it right now

caleb90

Forum Newbie
Threads
Getting the right ZTR for your lawn is a lot more complicated than just this and in every brand there are good models & not so good models and some are just plain useless ( MTD & Husqvarna + all of their other brands )
So if you want good advise you need to provide us with good information
1) the topography of your plot
2) how regularly you mow
3) what type of grass
4) how tall you like to cut it
5) the EXACT models under consideraton
6) your level of mechanical aptitude
7) Bag, Throw or mulch
8) climate snows ? long dry summers or winters ? 10 or more 100+ days heavy frosts heavy dew
Once upon a time a now extinct species called a mower sales person would ask you these questions then make a suggestion
Now days they either point you towards what has the biggest profit or at a mower that has run out of free credit time & they need to pay the factory for it right now
Yard slopes to a peak then back to a valley not super steep.
I try to mow little as possible as i find it boring and would rather be doing other stuff.so maybe once a week depending on rain and growth.
South central kentucky, not sure if i have blue grass or not. Wooded lot.
I like to mow it low as possible and wait till it ankle deep before i mow again.
Throw not mulch.
South central ky , first year here. So far its been a snowless winter. Havnt been here for a summer yet.

Basicly what im trying to figure out is buy an older commercial zero turn with high hours and is older. Vs buy a high end residential that is newer with less hours. The only residentials i am considering are ones with zt2800 or bigger transmissions. 3k budget