Peppermint/Spearmint grass replacement?

Greenblades

Threads
I have had this crazy thought for years of planting mint and letting it take over the whole yard. (I hear its hard to prevent once its planted anyway.) The plot would be, every time I mowed, whatever parts of my yard had it, would smell like mint.

Is it a wivestale that mint is so hardy that its hard to get rid of and kill? I mean, would it take a regular mowing and keep on kicking? A possible grass or partial grass replacement? (Again...totally serious.) mmm mint.:licking:

Bessy

Threads
I don't see why not, it is usually cheap and multiplies like mad. I have seen people use chamomile and lavender as ground cover. I have some English mint in my lawn and it smells amazing when the mower hits it.

jb5050

Forum Newbie
Threads
can someone tell me where to get mint? I personally love the smell of spearmint, or wintergreen.

Greenblades

Threads
Mmmmmm. Mint. :licking: That picture made me hungry.

So by stout are you talking about the stem or about its ability to survive? I'm thinking more of what it might be like right after mowing. I've never mowed a patch of mint before. Before I experiment and have to fight it back if it doesn't work, I want to think through what I might be getting into.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mmmmmm. Mint. :licking: That picture made me hungry.

So by stout are you talking about the stem or about its ability to survive?

More the aroma :smile::tongue:... it will light your nose up if you mow a big patch..

If you keep mowing it it will stop growing back :frown:... KennyV

Bessy

Threads
Where I live it grows wild in the ditches and roadsides. There is a different type in the ditch than grows on the roadside and they are different again from what is growing in my garden.

Greenblades

Threads
Why do people say its so hard to get rid of if all it takes is some mowings? Unless they are just talking about their gardens?

Bessy, that makes a lot of sense that there would be different types.