Open Unused Oil

SuperCuts

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi again,

Forgot to include this with my previous question.

Whenever I do an oil change, I invariably have a partial quart left over. I keep the remaining oil and use it to topo off during the season. However, the last time this occurred, I had a lot remaining and I have not really used it. As of now, the remaining oil is almost a year old.

Should I just recycle this oil...has it been sitting around too long (Note: it is in a clean environment and always has the cap on tight).

Thanks for any help...

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
you are fine as long as the cap was on. Standard dino oil 5 years safely. synthetic and semi-synthetic 7 to 8 years.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oil does go off over time
Having said that, it is a mower not a F1 race engine doing 16,000 rpm running at the limits of the materials strengths
So use your ould oil.
Change it after the final mow of th season before you go in for the beer and the woer will be very happy .

neetan

Threads
I have used oil that is 15 yr old, in an old JD w/800hr. but found I needed to change it after 10 hr in stead of 50 hr. but free oil is free. Just went to pure synthetic after, lasted another 800 before it needed rings.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It's fine.
It was already in the ground for thousands of years at least.
Kind of like Himalayan Rock salt having an expiration date.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought gallons of 2stroke oil in pint bottles over 20 years ago and have been using it in the boat for 20 years with no problem. At the same time I bought gallons of Castrol GTX 10W-40 SG rated oil for $.50 a quart. Still have a few quarts of it left. Stuff is still good. Gotta love OddLots.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In a sealed container it should last for decades
Oil needs heat , & air to start going bad sitting on the shelf .