Open Positive? *Update*

sano888

Threads
Have a Kohler SV710-3036 on a Cub Cadet Z-Force 46 (2011ish?). Battery will not recharge. Went to YouTube University. I think I have an Open Positive. I don't know what that means. Will someone who knows more than I do please educate me on this? Let me ask some questions? Thanks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
according to the IPL this is your votlage regulator/rectifier, takes the A/C from stator, and turns it into the proper DC voltage to charge your battery start the engine and test for DC voltage on the center B+ terminal, you should see greater than your sitting battery voltage, around 13.2-13.5 volts.
You should also have greater than 24v AC on each outside terminal
1707016235668.png

sano888

Threads
according to the IPL this is your votlage regulator/rectifier, takes the A/C from stator, and turns it into the proper DC voltage to charge your battery start the engine and test for DC voltage on the center B+ terminal, you should see greater than your sitting battery voltage, around 13.2-13.5 volts.
You should also have greater than 24v AC on each outside terminal
View attachment 67733
This is where I started my testing but couldn't get any readings off of it which led me to believe there is an open positive. I realized last night in bed that after I unscrewed it from its bracket so I could see it better, it probably was not grounded anymore. Also was reminded that I'm an idiot. Going to have to check it again hooked back up and see where I am then. Bought this mower used. Someone has spliced a bunch of the wires. And not well. Thank you for the response.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I was going to ask was the regulator grounded. In YouTube terms that would be an "Open Negative".

And I hate DIYers hacket jobs on wiring harnesses. I had one back in the Summer that they cut every single wire. It took me few days to splice everything back professionally.

sano888

Threads
Part of me is tempted to just replace the wiring harness altogether. But I've learned that it's easy for me to get in over my head on things. Step at a time.

Last edited:

sano888

Threads
OK. Hooked everything back up. Placed red probe on center terminal (B+?) of the rectifier. Black probe on housing of rectifier. No voltage reading. Also tried red on terminal, black on N post of the battery. No reading. Red on P post, black on housing gives battery voltage, 12.7ish. Kohler Engines University channel on YT says if there is no V with center terminal and housing combo, the positive is open. Not sure what that means or what to do about it. Thoughts?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Need to determine why you do not have 12 volts to the B terminal of the regulator. Some are wired through the key switch and it has to be in the run position to get power to the regulator. Can try hooking a wire from the B terminal of the regulator to the positive post of the battery and see what voltage you have with the engine running.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most of the Z force wiring indicates that ignition needs to be in run to check 12 at B+ terminal of the regulator. Engine has to be running to see if the voltage is above the standing non running battery voltage.

sano888

Threads
I'll give it a try in the key on position. If I have to start running wires, I'll have to rethink some things. The rectifier is terminal side down and the plug wire is very short. Hard to work in that space. Nice of the engineers to do it that way. Probably get back to it next weekend. Thank you for the suggestions.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here is an electrical schematic for the Z-Force series.
1707116469096.png