Oldest running snowblower?

I have an "antique" snow shovel that belonged to my Dad that I just can part with----I am 72 now----does that count?? I also have a "Snow Hound"-----a seven year old chessie named "Lucy"! She loves to chase the snow as it gets blown by our Craftsman.
 
I have an "antique" snow shovel that belonged to my Dad that I just can part with----I am 72 now----does that count?? I also have a "Snow Hound"-----a seven year old chessie named "Lucy"! She loves to chase the snow as it gets blown by our Craftsman.

Well Harriet at 72 you can most likely taper off on the snow shoveling ... Your 7 years up on me and I have definitely all but quit shoveling it... I use a diesel powered blower, while in a heated cab... :smile:KennyV
 
I noticed that also... BUT someone has put a rubber boot on the plug. That will prevent it from shorting out the spark..?
Do any of you recall the times you didn't watch closely and touch the top of the plug... WAKES you right up... :smile:KennyV
No, that type has a cut out section of the tab that is pointed. It actually pokes through the boot grounding the plug. The old B&S engines had the bootless total snap type that got many a good poke, especially on mini-bikes, where it was fun to shut off the engine before coming to a stop. Not a smart thing to do, and a poke from the plug shot you right off the bike. Tecumsehs had the push-through type with boots. (1960s)
 
I have an old Toro "Snow Hound" that was made back in the mid sixties. Here's a video of one.YouTube - Starting the TORO Snow Hound and a web pic also.
shb1.jpg


I'm just glad I don't have snow like this to deal with!
Oswego1.jpg

Mama Mia! Where was this pic taken? Deep inside Antarctica? :) Sorry guys, I'm from a tropical country. While I know you've got snow there, I have never imagined it could be as deep as this.
 
My old small engine shop teacher (1964) used to tell us the best way to check if there is spark is to hold on to the plug wire while giving it a spin.He showed us that many times.The first zap he would wince a bit but then he held right on.I've done it a few times myself but usually try to get someone else to hold the wire :laughing:
 
I have a 1974 MTD Snowflite. Got it free because it had no engine. Paid $135 for new 6 hp engine and $24 for the pulley. Works great.
 
I was thinking very late 70s early 80s myself it weighs a ton lol ...But runs perfect ....I am not sure what i am going to do with it might repaint if i can find the proper paint ...I have a few that i have already done will up load pics soon ..ty for the reply :thumbsup:

Briggs, I just joined this forum, so my comment is pretty late. Your Simplicity is definitely no newer than the 80's. did you run the numbers on it? In your picture, it shows its using the centrifugal style impeller in the 2nd stage which dates it back pretty far. It also uses the new style short frame where the centrifugal impeller was first used on the long frames going back to about 1970. I have a long frame unit with the centrifugal style impeller, so it's possibly the early 70's. I haven't been able to get an exact date on it since Simplicity was bought by B&S and I think they trashed the archives. I sent a picture of my unit to Simplicity to see if they could get a closer date, but haven't heard back from them.
 
Here are pictures of my 1962 Snow Boy Model 1817 built by Lawn Boy.
 

Attachments

  • SAM_0786.jpg
    SAM_0786.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 7
  • SAM_0784.jpg
    SAM_0784.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 17
  • SAM_0783.jpg
    SAM_0783.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top