Older Craftsman Eager 1 recoil starter rope does not retract

madness5557

Threads
  • / Older Craftsman Eager 1 recoil starter rope does not retract
I have an older Craftsman mower that still running good but the cord will not retract. It is easy to remove but I cannot find a replacement part for. If any one can direct me to where I may find the part it would be greatly appreciated. I know I got more then I should out of the mower but it still runs good and now maybe an obsession not to let die because I cannot fine a $20 part. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post all engine numbers so we have an idea of what you have.

madness5557

Threads
Thank you for the reply. I did find some info on the original part and possibly two other replacements although I need to do more research to be sure I get the right one. It looks like the original part # is 590523. There are possibility two replacements 590531 and 590532. My current one feels like it still has some tension left in it but no where near enough.

Mower Name Craftsman Eager 1
Model # 131.907223
Engine # 143-294112 (Craftsman/Tecumseh)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your engine crosses to a Tecumseh engine model TVS 090 - 43031A. Sorry to tell you that it has one of the most difficult starters for the DIY Guys to repair with individual parts. It’s even tough to properly mount a new starter assembly. The replacement starter assembly is Tecumseh part number 590532. This site has a parts breakdown of the starter assembly.
Here is the Tecumseh repair manual for your engine which may be of some help. Any more questions please post back.
https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Te...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf

madness5557

Threads
Your engine crosses to a Tecumseh engine model TVS 090 - 43031A. Sorry to tell you that it has one of the most difficult starters for the DIY Guys to repair with individual parts. It’s even tough to properly mount a new starter assembly. The replacement starter assembly is Tecumseh part number 590532. This site has a parts breakdown of the starter assembly.
Here is the Tecumseh repair manual for your engine which may be of some help. Any more questions please post back.
https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Te...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf
Thank you. I agree it does not seem easy to repair with individual parts. It appears that the a pin broke inside the starter. It is probably is part number 8 (or possibly 9) as the small cover that that has the word "Lock" imprinted on it fell off but it did start once or twice after that. That is when I found a small piece the thickness of maybe a paper clip (you can see the piece that appears to have broken off laying on the deck on the attached picture. When I took the starter off I can see what seems to be the other piece of the pin still attached.

Attachments

• 2021042-1.jpg
    2021042-1.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 1

madness5557

Threads
Thank you. I agree it does not seem easy to repair with individual parts. It appears that the a pin broke inside the starter. It is probably is part number 8 (or possibly 9) as the small cover that that has the word "Lock" imprinted on it fell off but it did start once or twice after that. That is when I found a small piece the thickness of maybe a paper clip (you can see the piece that appears to have broken off laying on the deck on the attached picture. When I took the starter off I can see what seems to be the other piece of the pin still attached.
It looks like the piece is item number 8. BRAKE TPC-590554.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Always the option of a strait pulley & a rope.
It is a tiller.
Not a tool that you generally stop 50 times in a session.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If that Tech-ump-c has a spring like a Briggs, remove the spring. Take an oily red shop rag. Wipe all the dirt and grit mess off the spring in a polishing fashion. That fine bit of oil will make it retract better. Do NOT add any extra oil to the spring or in that same area. This trick helps a lazy returning rope.

slomo