Buying Advice Old Grasshopper vs New MidMount Ferris

RhettWS

Threads
Good afternoon,

This is my first post as I am new to the forum. I have been lurking for a few months trying to research what to purchase since I am now in the market for a new mower. I'll try to make it clear and as brief as possible.

1. I really would like a front mount mower but new Grasshoppers are out of my price range. I'd like to stick the deck up under shrubs, and under the edge of my house which is elevated off the ground.
2. I've looked at Ferris MidMounts and I like one model in particular (Ferris 700Z). This would be a new unit and I can afford it.
3. I found a 2008 Grasshopper 727 K2 for sale with about 1400 hours (Kohler 27 HP). It includes a dozer blade and a massive looking vacuum system for sucking up clippings, etc.. The deck is 52" which is what I want. Price is currently 5K for the lot. Supposedly everything runs fine. I have not seen the unit in person yet.

Q1: If the 5K price reasonable despite the engine hours if everything works OK on the grasshopper?
Q2: I'm I crazy to even consider an old Grasshopper when I can purchase a fairly nice new mid-mount with a 4 year warranty? I've milked 15 years out of a Scotts mower without a ton of major trouble and I don't mind working on my equipment.

I could sell the grass catcher since I don't have need for bagging. I cut 1.5 acres on a regular basis and occasionally add another half acre that is heavily shaded (little grass or weeds).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. ......... Rhett

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good afternoon,

This is my first post as I am new to the forum. I have been lurking for a few months trying to research what to purchase since I am now in the market for a new mower. I'll try to make it clear and as brief as possible.

1. I really would like a front mount mower but new Grasshoppers are out of my price range. I'd like to stick the deck up under shrubs, and under the edge of my house which is elevated off the ground.
2. I've looked at Ferris MidMounts and I like one model in particular (Ferris 700Z). This would be a new unit and I can afford it.
3. I found a 2008 Grasshopper 727 K2 for sale with about 1400 hours (Kohler 27 HP). It includes a dozer blade and a massive looking vacuum system for sucking up clippings, etc.. The deck is 52" which is what I want. Price is currently 5K for the lot. Supposedly everything runs fine. I have not seen the unit in person yet.

Q1: If the 5K price reasonable despite the engine hours if everything works OK on the grasshopper?
Q2: I'm I crazy to even consider an old Grasshopper when I can purchase a fairly nice new mid-mount with a 4 year warranty? I've milked 15 years out of a Scotts mower without a ton of major trouble and I don't mind working on my equipment.

I could sell the grass catcher since I don't have need for bagging. I cut 1.5 acres on a regular basis and occasionally add another half acre that is heavily shaded (little grass or weeds).

A1: 5K is not out of the normal for a Grass Hopper Mower with out the extras. You can sale the grass collection piece for around $1500 or more. Save that money for a new engine if its ever needed.
A2: My suggestion is that you feed that need for a front deck mower. You can always Sale the mower for what you paid for it and buy the Ferris later.

RhettWS

Threads
Thanks BlaznT,

I've tried contacting the owner via e-mail but have not heard back yet. Hopefully, I will soon and then I can actually go look closer at the unit. I think I figured out the owner used it commercially and now has other, possibly smaller (footprint) mowers that might fit the yards he does a little easier and also take up less room in the trailer.

Room is not an issue for me. Hopefully, a few others will chime in with their thoughts.

Thanks again.:smile:

swschult

Threads
Good afternoon,

I inherited a 2004 front-mount Grasshopper 52” with a liquid-cooled Kohler engine. It has almost 1600 hours on it. With apologies to the NRA, I’ll be giving it up when someone pries it out of my cold, dead fingers! You won’t realize how nice a front-mount mower is, until you have one. You can get used ones on Craig’s List or Facebook Marketplace for $3000-$5000, usually with 1500 hours or more. If it comes with credible maintenance records, your level of risk should not be excessive.

BWH

Threads
Definitely stick with the front mount I am on my fourth front mount Grasshopper with the first a 1982, none of them wore out I just upgraded when the opportunity presented itself with a deal I couldn't refuse. One thing to remember Grasshoppers don't wear out you just rebuild them.

swschult

Threads
Definitely stick with the front mount I am on my fourth front mount Grasshopper with the first a 1982, none of them wore out I just upgraded when the opportunity presented itself with a deal I couldn't refuse. One thing to remember Grasshoppers don't wear out you just rebuild them.
Amen to that. This past summer I said something to one of the mechanics at the dealership about my Grasshopper still running alright after 18 years, and he said they ”last a little too good.” I guess he meant that their sales would be better, if the machines didn’t last so long. Given the price of a new one, I’ll keep mine for a few more years if I can.