OK to use synthetic oil ?

Abbeville

Forum Newbie
Threads
Discussing which oil to use is like discussing politics, almost everyone has an opinion and there will always be differences of opinion. I study the owners manual and the engine repair manual and use the charts shown to make a decision. I use Schaeffer 30W synthetic blend (I buy it in 5 gallon pails) in all my small engines, unless the manual specifies something else. Where I live it doesn't get real cold in winter but does get hot in the summer.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads

Have_Blue

Threads
My TORO zero turn mower has Kawasaki 23 hp engine. 270 hours on it. 10 Years old. Been using CASTROL 10w30 or 20w50 in it, conventional oil. I've been thinking about maybe running synthetic in it this spring. Heck, everything else seems to be running ir. Got any thoughts on that anyone? I don't think I'd want to go down to 5w30 and don't know if synthetic comes in 10w30 or some such.
I started using the cheapest, thickest (10W-30) synthetic at about 120 hours. It never smoked or used oil, and the oil stayed clean. Now at 235 hours, and there are no changes so it seems to be fine. I doubt that it adds more than 1 season to a homeowner's machine, but it's so cheap, why not?

Have_Blue

Threads
If your engine does not need synthetic to protect for extreme heat or slow flow when cold, then you can use conventional oil without any problems. OTOH, if you want to spend more per oil change, synthetic is perfectly fine to use.
The engine was designed with conventional oil as the prospective lubricant. It should do fine. Synthetic will not buy anything unless you reach temperature extremes where regular oil would tend to degrade.
I have yet to use any synthetic in my Kohler CVs, with conventional 10W30 as the spec'd lube. They have lasted since 1988 and 1997 respectively, don't knock or use oil between changes. I do not baby them, as they were designed to run at about 3k rpm for hours, and they do fine. When drained, the oil is still brown, not black. I use any brand, whatever is on the shelf. I have used Stens filters without problem, along with some from auto parts stores that matched.
This is not rocket science, and the oils today have better additive packages than when the engines were designed.
If you want to spend money on very very high quality oils, have at it. You are just lining the pockets of those who sell that product. Check with "Project Farm" YT channel for unbiased comparisons of oil brands. You may be surprised at which seem to perform better than some usual suspects. Oil should not cost $10/qt. If it does, a LOT of that is in profit.
IMO.
tom
Spoken for truth! Todd knows his business! I use Wal-Mart Super Tech because it stacks up well with the expensive brands, and costs less than some conventional and blends. If it's better and costs a few pennies more, why not use it?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just be aware there are equipment out there that Synthetic can't be used in. Honda ATVs is one of them due the clutching system.