Ok So I ran over a Rock.... A decent one

jj605v

Threads
OK...so I was cutting and hit a rock. The mower kept running and it sounded like the blade just kept destroying the rock. I knew I needed to replace the motion drive belt and that m blades needed replacing so i got the belt and blades. First thing i noticed when going to replace is that i usually put it in gear or set the parking brake. Well neither keep the rear wheels from moving. I decided to change the blades this AM. I bought a 2nd set of new blades as on hand replacements ready to go. What was different this time when replacing is that both pulleys moved with the movement of the ratchet. If this is normal that's fine its just that it did not do this last time. Also upon further review the blade on the grass ejection side is going to rub a little. I never even got to replacing the motion drive belt. I was so pissed off. Any help is appreciated.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
the mounts that the blade pulleys are on are called mandrels.....are they broken loose?

LT1045wrh

Threads
I've hit many rocks, stumps, etc...and have had to replace mandrels and blades, not fun. Anyway, when you remove the deck, I suggest this, so you can clamp something on the mandrel pulley, so it doesn't turn when you try to loosen the blade bolt. Be careful not to bend the pulley. I use a "C" clamp and clamp it at the open space within the belt guards.
Since the mandrel shaft does not have the star pattern, it is harder to get these blades off. Once these mandrels go, I'm going to see if I can replace them with the type that have a star shaft, then buy those type of blades.
I then use a wood block with another clamp to keep the blade from spinning when I try to break the nut free. Sometimes I've had to use a pipe attached to my breaker bar for leverage.
Good luck,
Wendy:cool: