Export thread

Oil spewing out of the dipstick

C

Coach Gates

I have a toro recycler self propelled mower with the Kohler 149 cc motor. runs like a beast. problem is recently I ran it...ot ran great, no issues, but then oil started seeping from the base of the tube. I opened the cap and oil spewed everywhere. obviously pressure. Any ideas to why?

StarTech

StarTech

Of course oil is going to spew out with the engine running. Think about it; the piston is moving in and out. If oil is seeping from tube base it is likely seal that has failed.

C

Coach Gates

Of course oil is going to spew out with the engine running. Think about it; the piston is moving in and out. If oil is seeping from tube base it is likely seal that has failed.
engine is off. no moving parts when dipstick removed. Still comes out...fast!

I

ILENGINE

Does the oil smell like gas. wondering if you didn't have a float valve failure causing gas to fill the crankcase.

C

Coach Gates

not that I can tell

C

Coach Gates

Does the oil smell like gas. wondering if you didn't have a float valve failure causing gas to fill the crankcase.
besides, wouldn't gas come out of the carb after sitting a few hours? Not a drop

I

ILENGINE

I am thinking something has raised the level to were it comes out the dipstick. Gas in the oil is the most common cause for high oil level, unless somebody has added way too much oil.

StarTech

StarTech

It could be a stuck breather valve but of I don't these engines in the shop here. Matter of fact I don't see any walk behind mower any more. Anyways if the valve is stuck it would cause a pressure build up in the engine but as said it more common for fuel polluted oil.

The breather valve is just a flat disc with a slight spring load to make sure it closes on vacuum pulses. Old gummy oil can cause it to stick closed.

B

bertsmobile1

Start by draining the oil .
Should get about 500ml ( exact amount will be in the owners manual ) .
generally you will only get around 90% of the stated amount.
IF it is more , then as previously mentioned it has ben overfilled or had a float valve failure.

C

Coach Gates

It could be a stuck breather valve but of I don't these engines in the shop here. Matter of fact I don't see any walk behind mower any more. Anyways if the valve is stuck it would cause a pressure build up in the engine but as said it more common for fuel polluted oil.

The breather valve is just a flat disc with a slight spring load to make sure it closes on vacuum pulses. Old gummy oil can cause it to stick closed.
So if it a fuel polluted problem, new carb should fix it (rebuilt this carb already). If it is the breather valve, how do you fix it. Great little mower, would like to fix.

StarTech

StarTech

If you clean to check and clean the breather, it is located under the flywheel; so it would need to be removed.
1. Remove screws securing breather cover. Remove cover.
2. Remove breather spring, disc and screen.
3. Then clean the area and reassembly.
4. Torque the flywheel retaining nut to 51.5 N·m (38 ft. lb.).

If repair kit is needed it is PN 14 050 01-S. includes gaskets, spring, valve disc, and filter.
koh14 050 01-s.jpg
This repair is only slightly mention in the service manual but you probably the rest of the info so here it is.

XT Series service Manual

C

Coach Gates

replaced the carb, took off the flywheel and checked the breather valve (white plastic disc with spring on top) and cleaned. started up and pressure was back on dipstick cap after shutting off. Pressure is building in the crankcase. oil was at level before starting.

C

Coach Gates

pulled flywheel. cleaned breather valve, changed carb. also pulled head. Head gasket was ok. replaced to spec. funny thing though. I turned the motor by hand, nothing until the engine made half a revolution then oil came out of the oil fill hole (dipstick removed) in large quantities. continue to turn until no more came out. I see oil in the pan, but no more is coming out. if overfilled, how come the dipstick wasn't reading (as before I turned it the first revolution, dipstick read normal).

StarTech

StarTech

Of course oil going come if you are hand turning it with dipstick out. It is going to take the path of least resistance.

C

Coach Gates

Of course oil going come if you are hand turning it with dipstick out. It is going to take the path of least resistance.
but what about when the dipstick is in...pressure builds and shoots the oil out the top

StarTech

StarTech

Would suggest doing a leak down test to check the cylinder condition as it might be excessive blow by.