Export thread

Oil Leaking at Dipstick Tube of Lawn Mower

Grousemansav

Grousemansav

Hi Folks. Looks like I have oil leaking at the bottom end of the dipstick tube. I've wiped it off and will run the mower again to confirm it is the seal. I'm in Sarnia Canada and it looks like a replacement seal (part # 692296) is a whopping $25 which sticks in my craw. Briggs and Stratton sell them for $3.50 but won't ship to Canada. There is an industrial supplier in town and I am tempted to drop by and see what they have in the way of O-rings. I need to ensure that the material will take the high temperature but am not sure what that would be. Also needs to be oil resistant.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sincerely Grouseman

M

mechanic mark

I google part # for OEM part & best price.
HAPPY FATHERS DAY! https://www.partshouse.ca/oemparts/partsearch/briggs_stratton?partsearch=692296
$24 now in Canada to resolve an oil leak with OEM B&S part, drive across the border to B&S parts store or wait 6 months & recheck price which will likely double like gasoline, groceries, & all consumer goods. I fully understand your frustration & have been there many times, try taking measurements of old o ring with caliper & look on Amazon for heat & oil resistant “o” rings your size.

Grousemansav

Grousemansav

Thanks but with shipping it still comes to $24 for a simple $3 O-ring

Grousemansav

Grousemansav

Stay tuned.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

It doesn't get that hot. A harbor freight o ring will work.

Grousemansav

Grousemansav

I'll bet the existing red one is high temp silicone but still a good idea.

sgkent

sgkent

find a friend who has an address across the St Clair river from you in the USA. Lots of Canadians keep a PO box on the American side for that reason. It is the shipping that makes it so expensive. The river is only 1200 feet wide. Surely you can travel that far.

B

bertsmobile1

If you ask nicely there are several workshop owners with a paypal account who would be happy to put 1 or 2 in an envelope & post it to you
Parts suppliers like Jacks Small Engines will ship via USPS which should be a lot cheaper .

dougmacm

dougmacm

A standard -115 Viton or Silicone O-Ring will work ... you can find these at any industrial supply house or amazon.

My B&S on my 1996 Lawn Boy 10517 was leaking at the same spot.

We have O-Ring stock where I work, so I matched up the original O-Ring to a -115. We have both Viton & Buna-N, but the Viton is higher temp so that is what I used. The Viton we have is 70 Durometer which seems to be a little firmer than the original silicone ... whether a firmer seal is better or worse for the application I don't know. Leak has stopped so that is all that matters to me. It is not too difficult to replace so if I have to change it again sooner than an OEM B&S seal would last, no big deal.

Doug

sgkent

sgkent

He is only a couple miles (literally) from Wadham's Equipment on the US side, or Mikes Small Engine Repair on his side.

Grousemansav

Grousemansav

Happy ending. Found some 115 o-rings at a local machine shop. Nice guy gave them to me and I gave him $5 for coffee. Installed red one which I now think may be Viton. Problem solved.

Thanks for the input especially from Doug for the o-ring size and info on Viton.

Grouseman

P.S. Mike's Small Engine is gone from Mitton Street. Not sure if they moved or closed.
P.P.S. New rate for Bluewater Bridge is $10 return!

Grousemansav

Grousemansav

Happy ending. Found some 115 o-rings at a local machine shop. Nice guy gave them to me and I gave him $5 for coffee. Installed red one which I now think may be Viton. Problem solved.

Thanks for the input especially from Doug for the o-ring size and info on Viton.

Grouseman

P.S. Mike's Small Engine is gone from Mitton Street. Not sure if they moved or closed.
P.P.S. New return rate for Bluewater Bridge is $10!