Oil intrusion.

Picknlittle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I'll check that tomorrow.
This is exactly what happened to the previous owner his last use. That's why I went straight to replacing the head gasket, but the gasket looked fine.
Well indeed, there is a lot of crankcase pressure, so there is a good deal of blow-by present. I wanted to see how much oil was blowing out. Stuck the breather end of the breather tube on a bottle and started it up. After a couple minutes it started pumping a steady flow. About 8 oz in roughly 20 seconds! But no exhaust smoke, and no low compression start-up signs. Add that when this happened the first time, it was following a dealer service, and happened suddenly. Just started smoking and choking out!

Picknlittle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Finally contacted Kohler and spoke to a fella in the tech dept. Described what the original user told me about the failure and what I'd found, or not found. He said since it happened suddenly, and there is no scoring of cylinder wall, and no blown head gasket there was one more tiny thing that might cause it. On the cylinder head is a small reed valve that may have a piece of carbon or other debris, blocking the reed valve from closing. No guarantees, but worth checking. Welp, it's running fine now. Head scratching is over for now. Thanks.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a sister-in-law that smokes a lot when she is drinking,
but that is another subject...