Export thread

odd socket sizes

reynoldston

reynoldston

Bought a new set of Harbor Freight 1/4 in hex drive socket kit. When I got it home I see some odd sizes I have never used or seen before. 9/32, 13/32, and 15/32. Has anybody ever seen a use for these odd sizes? I do see then for sale on E-Bay so somebody must use them. I do have some old box end wrenches 25/32 in my tool box that I don't ever recall using also.

R

Rivets

I’ve have used the 9/32 & 13/32 sizes working on electrical equipment. Can I ask how many sockets were in that set, as I believe I had to buy my odd sizes individually, but that was over 20 years ago. Maybe I used them for metric fasteners when they first started showing up, getting to old to remember things like that.

B

bertsmobile1

You will be finding more & more odd sizes as manufacturers keep searching for ways to make their products cheaper.
Now days with modern bolt making machines you can save a lot of money by making bolts from softer steel with bigger heads.
A flanged nut for instance can be made from a softer grade of steel making it cheaper than a std nut and also replaces both the washer & lock washer .