No Spark On Briggs

raider820

Threads
I have a Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor with a Briggs and Stratton 18.5hp OHV engine, model number 31Q777 0305 E1 that has no spark. I have tried 3 different magnetos, the original, one from a tractor that I knew worked and a brand new one. Still no spark. I disconnected the kill wire while trying the second magneto and haven't connected it back up. The engine cranks over with no problems with the key and when I jump it straight from the starter, but I cannot get a spark. I have also checked to make sure the flywheel pin was not sheered and cleaned the flywheel magnet. I am at a loss. Can anyone help in determine why I can't get a spark?

Tinkerer200

Threads
How did you verify no spark?

Yeah, how? Just for the record, a sheared flywheel key will have no affect on whether it has spark, only affect if it is at the right time. (Unless it is a 1980 or older engine) Also, concern with corrosion, dirty, is only with the coil mounting surfaces.
Walt Conner

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the ground surface for the coil. Coils hardly go bad but possible. How did you set the coil gap? Verify the coil plates have a clean direct path to the engine block.

slomo

keakar

Threads
do this simple test, unplug the main plug to engine and then see if you have spark, if you do then its a safety switch somewhere killing it

its very common for the seat switch plug to back off a little and there is a spring wire in it that kills the mower thinking the switch is unplugged

note - if its still plugged in and the engine starts you need to plug it back in to kill it