No spark HH70-140038c

WaterOp03

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 35 year old Ariens tiller with a tecumseh HH70-14438c engine. Would not start last fall. I suspected bad key. This engine has done this before but didn't have time to check it out then. Winter came. It didn't have spark when I tried to get it started this spring. I replaced plug & condenser and a new coil. Cleaned carb and put in repair kit. Wouldn't start still no spark. Timing was set at .080 BTDC, Points .020 and plug .030. When sliding new coil on, it seemed like sharp edges of armature was cutting into coating of coil. I took sharp edge off with a file. I've taken apart a number of times to see what I missed. Did filing the armature do something?

Thanks for any help.

Gene

jp1961

Threads
Gene,

You said your engine had key issues before, did you check for a sheared key? Are the magnets on the flywheel OK?, I've heard the magnets do sometimes loose their magnetism.

Jeff

WaterOp03

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gene,

You said your engine had key issues before, did you check for a sheared key? Are the magnets on the flywheel OK?, I've heard the magnets do sometimes loose their magnetism.

Jeff

Jeff

Yes checked the key. Bough a new one thinking, put new key in and would be tilling shortly. Not So. Magnets were ok too. I don't like giving up on something but I might have to on this one.

Thanks
Gene

jp1961

Threads
Gene,

Hmmm, my Intertec manual doesn't list the HH70 engine. In looking at the ignition system on some solid state ignition systems, it shows a rectifier, capacitor, pulse transformer (coil?), and trigger coil. Do you think your engine has solid state ignition?

Jeff

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This engine has an under flywheel magneto with points and condensor. Any of the components can cause you problems. Make sure there is no oil residue between the point contacts, If you haven't already consider replacing the condenser.

WaterOp03

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced plug, points, condenser and coil. Set points to .020 and then cleaned with carb cleaner sprayed on heavy strip of paper. I then used dry paper strip.

Gene

jp1961

Threads
Gene,

I wouldn't give up on it, I know it can be very frustrating. Can you take the coil to a repair shop to test it, just because it's new, that doesn't mean it's good. Electrical components can have defects. I replaced the circuit board on a relatively new LG refrigerator, the new board was bad. Is the cam that opens the points installed correctly? Was it damaged when the key was sheared before?

Jeff