Export thread

No power when cold - runs great after it warms up

M

metallicpea

Hi,

I have an issue that has stumped my local repair shop for years. Also, I did not see my issue mentioned here or online anywhere.

I have a Toro 6.5 GTS personal pace mower walk behind from around 2004. I love this mower and it has been great for a very long time. I believe the engine is a Tecumseh.

Over the last few years - after a service, it started a new issue. It starts up just fine and seems to run normal until you put any load, even a half a strip of grass and it dies. If I run it for awhile - maybe 5 min, once it is hot it has all the power it normally had and works perfectly.

I did quite a bit of research, and tried several things with absolutely no improvement. I cleared the gas cap vent, replaced the coil, cleaned the carb, and of course I keep it tuned and oil changed regularly.

Anything else I should consider? Perhaps the governor? Can it be cleaned or replaced? I would love to get this thing back to start and mow condition.

Thanks in advance.

M

Mikel1

Did they check the valve lash?

M

metallicpea

I would assume not. I didn't pay for anything except a cleaning, blade sharpen spark plug, air filter and oil change, but they did spend awhile checking their work after I got it back and it started acting up. Could they have messed something up? or it just might be normal wear and the cause of the issue?

I

ILENGINE

Governor shaft and/or throttle shaft is carb sticky and not moving freely, then loosens up when the engine warms up.

M

metallicpea

Governor shaft and/or throttle shaft is carb sticky and not moving freely, then loosens up when the engine warms up.

This sounds promising. I will dig deeper.

If I manually bring up the rpm by turning the governor at the block, it runs better fairly quick, but I thought it was just because it gets the engine up to temp faster. If I just rotate once or twice, it still dies upon load.