No intermediate throttle control

BobkinNH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have Craftsman 917.377795 walk behind self-prop w/ Honda engine. Not sure if this is a missing linkage or broken governor problem. Used to be able to vary engine speed between high (rabbit) and low (turtle). When engine is off, and operator throttle lever is on off, throttle is still wide open. I can push the governor arm to close the throttle, but it springs back open. Following the control linkage, there doesnt seem to be any connection from the control assmbly to the throttle plate except for the governor arm.
The end of the cable is properly mounted in to a lever in the control assmbly. When the lever rotates, it does nothing until it gets to 'fast' position, then begins to engage choke.
So, while i understand it is the governors job to maintain rpm under varying loads, should the governor also be keeping the throttle in the closed position? Or is there a connecting something or other missing in the control assmbly. But looking at the governor arm, it doesnt seem like anything could be missing as any linkage would have to push, not pull, on the lower part of the governor arm to shut the throttle.
Note: first, I am fairly sure you could adjust to intermediate speeds in the past, not just hi n lo, but I could be wrong. Second, this is my dad's mower so I kind of came into this in the middle of the problem so I'm not sure what the linkage used to look like, someone else replaced the carburetor gaskets a while ago so must have had it apart.
Last, there is another spring that goes between two of the lovers but I had to take it off because the engine races too fast otherwise.

Attachments

• 20200602_100417.jpg
    20200602_100417.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200602_100409.jpg
    20200602_100409.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200602_100402.jpg
    20200602_100402.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 1