No compression

snappy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I have a Snapper self-propelled with a Briggs and Straton 7.25 HP engine. It is only 4 years old, and it has been well maintained. I was mowing the other day, and everything was fine with the mower. I shut it down for 15-20 seconds (literally) to move some things out of the way. When I pulled the starter cord, the engine just kept turning as if it had no compression. I took it in to have it looked at, and they did say that there is no compression, and it is probably not worth fixing. When I got it back home, I pulled on the starter cord without engageing the blade control bar, and it felt as if the engine did have compression, but of course, it would not start. Any idea what the problem could be? Why no compresssion with the safety bar engaged, and compression when it is not?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
Do not confuse resistance to pulling with compression.
It is no uncommon for a valve to get stuck open, particualrly is the engine is over hot at the time or low on oil.
Pull the rocker cover off and check that the valves are going in and out and when they are both out they should be the same length.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check oil level on dipstick making sure it's on full mark. Remove spark plug & inspect visually as well as plug wire. With plug removed & spark plug wire tucked out of the way, do not touch plug wire doing this, have a helper pull starter rope while you place thumb over spark plug hole, if it has compression you will feel it.