Nice grass in the shade

mamaA

Threads
The best grass we have is in the shady areas of the lawn. It's depressing. :frown: I wish we could grow the lush, green grass everywhere but our yard is way too big. The sun makes it crunchy.

Greenblades

Threads
I bet there is someone here who knows of a grass that can be nice and lush in the sun. Do you live in a desert state or one where water isn't as available?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The best grass we have is in the shady areas of the lawn. It's depressing. :frown: I wish we could grow the lush, green grass everywhere but our yard is way too big. The sun makes it crunchy.

I'm in VA too and can't get grass to grow in the shade (creeping red fescue works some) -- best I've found for sun is clover mixed with Southern States K 31 -- Get a soil test kit from the coop or extension office and follow the recomendations.

Zeroturn

Threads
I don't know why but our grass is nicer under the big trees in the shade too. It doesn't make sense as the sun is not there to make it grow quick or lush? We don't have to mow it as often either.

mamaA

Threads
BKBrown, it's funny because our shady areas are really a huge difference from the rest of our yard. The main problem is water. We have a well and can't afford to waste water trying to keep the lawn green throughout the summer months.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
BKBrown, it's funny because our shady areas are really a huge difference from the rest of our yard. The main problem is water. We have a well and can't afford to waste water trying to keep the lawn green throughout the summer months.

Our septic drain field is under our main "lawn" When it is dry for a while you can see exactly where the drain lines are.

We have the red clay soil and some spots just refuse to grow grass - clover does better.

BlueGrass

Threads
Our grass burns because we don't water it. It's way to expensive to keep watering it so we let mother nature do it. Plus we always seem to be under a water advisory so we can't water on certain days.