Export thread

Newly installed transmission won't engage into gear

J

jedthepiratesfan

Hey guys-
I have a 90's model scag belt driven walk behind mower, SW-36 13ka to be exact. Anyhow I bought a brand new transmission for the mower (because the old one was popping in every gear except 5). I installed the new transmission but have been having some issues with it. This is a Peerless 700-070 transmission
- Transmission does not engage into gear unless Im on level ground. My driveway is on a steep hill and my transmission will not engage. The knee bar goes into the gear I want it to, but the mower acts like its still in neutral.
- Also, while in neutral, the engine shuts off if I let go of the top handles (without the blades on).This has normally only happened when I have the blades running.
Both of these issues just started occurring after I installed the new transmission.

Not sure if any of you guys have had a similar issue like this before or know what could have caused this--whether I messed up the installation or if its a bad tranny.

Thanks for the help!

cpurvis

cpurvis

Since whether the mower is on level ground or not has an effect, I would check for a slipping belt.

Boobala

Boobala

B

bertsmobile1

And if the belt is not slipping, missing drive keys

R

Rivets

If the engine shuts down with the brake off and you are on the seat, I would check to see if you have the safety switch on the tranny is hooked up correctly.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Jed are you still with us on here ????? I have a friend that owned a Scag dealership and he still works on them ..... I can call him and give your info if you still have issues.....

Wow that tranny costed you some bux.... I have what we nicknamed the ship anchor in my yard and it's a Pro Line Stand behind with the pedestals mounted on it.... It's a commercial unit and the tranny for that is 450 bux......

Let us know if you still here ..........