Export thread

New startup advice

B

Blades of Glory

I am in the process of launching a social enterprise lawn care business in Knoxville, TN (plans of intentionally hiring an underserved workforce, particularly ex-offenders). While I have operating experience in the lawn industry, I am looking for sound management counsel in bidding/equipment/HR/multiple crew logistics and best practices. I am an experiential learner and the idea hit me to reach out to this community to request if anyone in the Southeast would be willing to let me ride along with you and your company for a day or two during the off season while things are slower for all of us. I'm willing to drive most anywhere--Florida/GA/NC/TN/SC/ and maybe Alabama if its not near War Eagle territory.

I'm a young and energetic entrepreneur that wants to make a difference in people's lives and my optimism needs your wisdom and support to ensure that I'm doing things to the best of my ability. I'd love to have a phone conversation with anyone that is possibly interested. Thanks for your consideration, and GO VOLS.

Ian Dovan, Owner
Seeds of Change Lawn Care
dovanstore@gmail.com

Ric

Ric

I am in the process of launching a social enterprise lawn care business in Knoxville, TN (plans of intentionally hiring an underserved workforce, particularly ex-offenders). While I have operating experience in the lawn industry, I am looking for sound management counsel in bidding/equipment/HR/multiple crew logistics and best practices. I am an experiential learner and the idea hit me to reach out to this community to request if anyone in the Southeast would be willing to let me ride along with you and your company for a day or two during the off season while things are slower for all of us. I'm willing to drive most anywhere--Florida/GA/NC/TN/SC/ and maybe Alabama if its not near War Eagle territory.

I'm a young and energetic entrepreneur that wants to make a difference in people's lives and my optimism needs your wisdom and support to ensure that I'm doing things to the best of my ability. I'd love to have a phone conversation with anyone that is possibly interested. Thanks for your consideration, and GO VOLS.

Ian Dovan, Owner
Seeds of Change Lawn Care
dovanstore@gmail.com

I think you'll be hard pressed to make that kind of service work. A service like that is to much of a liability concern for you the owner say nothing about insurance company's. Just ask yourself a question, why would a business or county or state agency that can't hire ex-offender themselves for there workplace hire a company that has a work force of ex-offenders.
I think it would be the same thing for the greatest percentage of homeowners. The criminal element or ex-offender is something that there not going to be happy with or comfortable with around there home.

M

Mikel1

I agree with Ric, going to be a tough sale to the public.
I can see it now "We will shank your grass for you:wink:

B

bertsmobile1

When we ran the courier business we did have a few workers with a dubious past.
We never told any one and no one ever twigged.
Advertising it would be a bad idea because you will arouse suspicions so the first time some one misplaced something your crew will be accused of stealing it.
This will spread over the very fast electronic gossip mill and you will be bankrupt before you start.
No matter how hard one tries to do a "perfect" job there will always be bits that could have been done better, which with luck you will address the next time round.
However advertising you are running ex-cons will cause most customers go over your work with a fine tooth comb to find all the bad bits to reinforce their own prejudices agains all of "THOSE TYPES"

I hope your venture goes well.
However I have found long term inmates difficult to work with.
Institutionalized people tended to be a little brain dead, did exactly what you asked them to do, exactly the way you showed them to do it .
Worked well for exactly the time between the allocated start & finish times.
Had to eat, drink & go for toilet breaks at exactly the same time.
Could not handle any variations in their working environment and were not particularly interested in the job other than doing exactly what they were told to do.

Ric

Ric

When we ran the courier business we did have a few workers with a dubious past.
We never told any one and no one ever twigged.
Advertising it would be a bad idea because you will arouse suspicions so the first time some one misplaced something your crew will be accused of stealing it.
This will spread over the very fast electronic gossip mill and you will be bankrupt before you start.
No matter how hard one tries to do a "perfect" job there will always be bits that could have been done better, which with luck you will address the next time round.
However advertising you are running ex-cons will cause most customers go over your work with a fine tooth comb to find all the bad bits to reinforce their own prejudices agains all of "THOSE TYPES"

I hope your venture goes well.
However I have found long term inmates difficult to work with.
Institutionalized people tended to be a little brain dead, did exactly what you asked them to do, exactly the way you showed them to do it .
Worked well for exactly the time between the allocated start & finish times.
Had to eat, drink & go for toilet breaks at exactly the same time.
Could not handle any variations in their working environment and were not particularly interested in the job other than doing exactly what they were told to do.

Well I disagree with not telling anyone, especially when dealing with the public. When you think of all the employers private, county and state that require finger printing and back ground checks to be hired to or for a job, lying about your employees doesn't really seem the way to go. I think it would be a good way to destroy your business and your reputation. I think people would think if the guy is willing to lie about the people he employed what else is he capable of or doing.

serelaw

serelaw

Well I disagree with not telling anyone, especially when dealing with the public. When you think of all the employers private, county and state that require finger printing and back ground checks to be hired to or for a job lying about your employees doesn't really seem the way to go. I think it would be a good way to destroy your business and your reputation. I think people would think if the guy is willing to lie about the people he employed what else is he capable of or doing.

Where in his post did he say he would lie to anyone?

B

bertsmobile1

Once again Ric you are not reading the post.
I simply said don't advertise it because it will bring out all the nasty human traits in people, particularly like you.

A lawn mowing crew is not minding children or managing other peoples finances.
You don't need to be holyier than the pope to cut some ones grass.

People come out of prision and need to be able to find work or they will find another way to support themselves .
Even worse, having done reasonable time in gaol a 1/2 smart person has found out 101 ways to steal without getting caught.

If you had it your way 95% of the population would be unemployable and the other 5 % would be politicians.
People who go to gaol cost hard working , 100% honest , clean, decent, God fearing, fine, upstanding , morally perfect , unbiased, unbigoted, respectful pillars of the free world & self appointed protectors of moral society, ( you ? ) a lot of money.
Check where your State taxes go.
Add policing & gaols together and they make the biggest expenditure item and that is your money.

At one time I heard a US economist sprouting figures that it would be 2/3 cheaper to pay all the ex-inmates a full social security benefit forever than sending them back to prision.
Check your own State budget carefully you will find you spend 3 times as much per person keeping them in prison as you do educating them so they can become just like you.

Special Branch had a file on me going back from the time I was 12 and the best they could come up with was " had associated with known homosexuals " and "had associated with potential communist ".
Apparently riding with patch wearing motorcyclist gang , brawling , drug taking etc was fine, just so long as I did it with nice strait people who did not come from Ukrania .
For this gem of knowledge they had been following me 24/7 for over 20 years.

Carscw

Carscw

I like your idea.
There is no need to tell anyone that a employee has been in jail.

M

Mikel1

I agree that it cost alot to keep them in prison. The state's have no problem wasting taxpayer's money. We have to work so those that don't want to work can get a check.

Ric

Ric

I agree that it cost a lot to keep them in prison. The state's have no problem wasting taxpayer's money. We have to work so those that don't want to work can get a check.

I also agree that it cost a lot to keep people in prison but I also don't mind paying taxes to keep the ones there that belong there. As far as no need to tell anyone that a employee has been in jail is basically a thing of the past because as I said before most employers private, county and state anymore all require finger printing and back ground checks to be hired to or for a job. In most cases, not all but most the people who have records end up as Day Labor.
Paying taxes is the American way of life. We pay for Welfare, Food Stamps and a ton of other things, so what.

Carscw

Carscw

I also agree that it cost a lot to keep people in prison but I also don't mind paying taxes to keep the ones there that belong there. As far as no need to tell anyone that a employee has been in jail is basically a thing of the past because as I said before most employers private, county and state anymore all require finger printing and back ground checks to be hired to or for a job. In most cases, not all but most the people who have records end up as Day Labor. Paying taxes is the American way of life. We pay for Welfare, Food Stamps and a ton of other things, so what.

But if me or you hire a ex con we do not have to tell our customers.
If one was to ask me I would be honest.

Ric

Ric

But if me or you hire a ex con we do not have to tell our customers.
If one was to ask me I would be honest.

I had an ex con working for me but had to let him go because a client objected to him being on there property. Problem is when one client finds out it's not long and all your clients know. I'll never hire another.

B

bertsmobile1

So to pander to the xenophobic racist predjucies you will end up with crews containing no one else but white anglo males with blond hair & blue eyes.
Zig Hale !

M

Mikel1

I also agree that it cost a lot to keep people in prison but I also don't mind paying taxes to keep the ones there that belong there. As far as no need to tell anyone that a employee has been in jail is basically a thing of the past because as I said before most employers private, county and state anymore all require finger printing and back ground checks to be hired to or for a job. In most cases, not all but most the people who have records end up as Day Labor.
Paying taxes is the American way of life. We pay for Welfare, Food Stamps and a ton of other things, so what.

Never heard of "ban the box" I presume

exotion

exotion

These people will be at people's homes sometimes alone in a back yard, criminals are opportunistic and rarely change.

If you tell customers you hire ex cons you will not succeed.

If you do not tell them and something happens not only will you not succeed you will be sued and bankrupt.

Simple answer just dont, let them get jobs in the mines, mills, away from civilization. This is a ridiculous idea I'm sorry you thought it was good but end all its just not

B

bertsmobile1

These people will be at people's homes sometimes alone in a back yard, criminals are opportunistic and rarely change.

If you tell customers you hire ex cons you will not succeed.

If you do not tell them and something happens not only will you not succeed you will be sued and bankrupt.

Simple answer just dont, let them get jobs in the mines, mills, away from civilization. This is a ridiculous idea I'm sorry you thought it was good but end all its just not

Total and utter garbage.
The bulk of people in gaol are there because of lack of proper education and down here is is principally black people.
The next largest group are there because of a drug addiction
The next largest group are people with mental - emotional problems.
These three groups account for better than 90 % of the people in prision and that is apparently roughly the same world wide in democratic countries.
And yes there are some, a very small group with a different set of moral & social values who could be called "career criminals" .
The rest go back into prision because when they come out, the circumstances that sent them there in the first place have not changed

If given proper post prision support most will never reoffend and this has been proven hundreds of times by pilot trials in every country including the USA
As far as I know, Spain & Portigal are the only two countries that are actually doing this mainstream with a near 100% success rate.

The problem is greed & envy in the "non inprisioned" section of the community making it political suiside for a politician to say " I am going to give these ex-cons a better education than your children were offered and better heath care than you get in order that they can be rehabilitated and become normal members of the community and if they can not find meaningfull employment I will support them starting a small business so they do not need to return to crime in order to live."
Every one is happy for CRIMINALS to go to prison and the more of THEM in there the better, a simple example of the base emotion of REVENGE.
And this is almost universal, untill the drug addict who supports his habbit by selling more drugs, or stealing cars is your son, daughter , cousin etc.
Then they are a troubled person, temporarily off the rails and need a little help to get back on the right track again.
Hitler used this to great effect, all of your problems are because of THEM and because of human nature we happily go along with this line.
So all we have to do is lock up all of the non-people who broke the law forever and we will all be safe & free ?

When the Dutch decrimialised pot their property crimes dropped by a staggering 85 %.
Portugal has also decrimialised drugs and their property crime has also dropped , by 92% and on top of this violent crime ( assults) has also dropped by around 20% .

exotion

exotion

Total and utter garbage.
The bulk of people in gaol are there because of lack of proper education and down here is is principally black people.
The next largest group are there because of a drug addiction
The next largest group are people with mental - emotional problems.
These three groups account for better than 90 % of the people in prision and that is apparently roughly the same world wide in democratic countries.
And yes there are some, a very small group with a different set of moral & social values who could be called "career criminals" .
The rest go back into prision because when they come out, the circumstances that sent them there in the first place have not changed

If given proper post prision support most will never reoffend and this has been proven hundreds of times by pilot trials in every country including the USA
As far as I know, Spain & Portigal are the only two countries that are actually doing this mainstream with a near 100% success rate.

The problem is greed & envy in the "non inprisioned" section of the community making it political suiside for a politician to say " I am going to give these ex-cons a better education than your children were offered and better heath care than you get in order that they can be rehabilitated and become normal members of the community and if they can not find meaningfull employment I will support them starting a small business so they do not need to return to crime in order to live."
Every one is happy for CRIMINALS to go to prison and the more of THEM in there the better, a simple example of the base emotion of REVENGE.
And this is almost universal, untill the drug addict who supports his habbit by selling more drugs, or stealing cars is your son, daughter , cousin etc.
Then they are a troubled person, temporarily off the rails and need a little help to get back on the right track again.
Hitler used this to great effect, all of your problems are because of THEM and because of human nature we happily go along with this line.
So all we have to do is lock up all of the non-people who broke the law forever and we will all be safe & free ?

When the Dutch decrimialised pot their property crimes dropped by a staggering 85 %.
Portugal has also decrimialised drugs and their property crime has also dropped , by 92% and on top of this violent crime ( assults) has also dropped by around 20% .

None of this matters at all.

The customer(you know the person who pays you so you can run your business) does not want ex cons on their property.

B

bertsmobile1

Do you know that they do not want an person who may have not paid a parking fine in their yards, or are you inflicting your own predjucises on them ?

Quite by accident I ended up employing a local black lad who was begging in the street.
My 2 biggest customers were outraged by this as they were second guessing that their customers would be offended and pull advertising .
Well as it happened "their customers" took to him like a duck to water.
An art director started using him and his cousin who I also put on in the background of video clips and TV commercials.
Entually another one of my customers took them on as extras.
Last time I heard from Albert he was in New York running his own casting agency placing Aust Aboriginies world wide.
Hardy Brothers a local major jewellers were the only people who rang back to check who he was before handing over a $ 110,000 watch to him.
My drivers wore no uniforms so they were real live people with names to all my customers, it does make a big difference.
I am not a meglomaniac who gets off by reviewing all m "troops" resplendant in their pretty uniforms & vehicles.

Now the OP was not putting his workers alone into peoples yards they were going to be part of a crew.

If you are prejudiced well & good, you are quite entitled to be but don't try to project your own prejudices onto others so you can appear to be a saint.

exotion

exotion

Again doesn't matter. Ex inmates people stop listening they don't want to hear the story they can hire someone who hasn't been to jail cheaper.

Would I hire ex cons to work on my personal property hell no. I know not a single one of my customer would it's just a bad idea.

They can go get a job in some labor position away from the public at some saw mill or mine.

Ric

Ric

Again doesn't matter. Ex inmates people stop listening they don't want to hear the story they can hire someone who hasn't been to jail cheaper.

Would I hire ex cons to work on my personal property hell no. I know not a single one of my customer would it's just a bad idea.

They can go get a job in some labor position away from the public at some saw mill or mine.

I agree with you exotion. Berts talks about the bulk of people in jail are there because of lack of proper education, drug addition or there people with mental - emotional problems. People who are in jail are there of there own doing it's not because of the lack of proper education because education is available to anyone who wants it and the majority of drug addition is by choice, hell it's easier to make a house payments and pay bills than support a drug habit. As you say they can go get a job in at a day labor position.

Carscw

Carscw

I hire people on probation or parole.
Big big big big tax breaks.
Heck you go shopping and the guy working at the store could be a sex offender. You don't know.

exotion

exotion

I agree with you exotion. Berts talks about the bulk of people in jail are there because of lack of proper education, drug addition or there people with mental - emotional problems. People who are in jail are there of there own doing it's not because of the lack of proper education because education is available to anyone who wants it and the majority of drug addition is by choice, hell it's easier to make a house payments and pay bills than support a drug habit. As you say they can go get a job in at a day labor position.

In the begining, middle, and end the only thing that matters is the customer. And the customer does not want potential criminals on their property. Not worth the risk, liability, or stress when Tom down the street can do it with no ex criminals on his staff

Carscw

Carscw

Now we know who the stuck up snobs are.
I have never in 30 years doing lawn care. Had a customer ask about any workers.
Only time I have had to submit I background check. Was for the county for the school grounds. Still got the contract with 2 guys with felonies on the grew.

The federal government pays you to hire people on parole.
These guys work their *** off and never miss a day.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Apply this to your situation. If you don't say, they won't know and it isn't lying unless the custome absoulety wants to know where your work force comes from. I say you have a very good idea! Jail is hard on people and once they get out they are stigmatised by some people. They probably lost evyerhting they had. Wife, kids, Gf, money, job, etc. A job can alloy a fresh start. If the ex cons do a good job, why not hire them. Don't advertise. Just hire them and make sure they do a good job.

For good logistics you can put a GPS system on each truck to track down crews, get good commercial equipment like Scag, Toro, STIHL, ECHO, Shindaiwa, Exmark, Ferris, etc.

exotion

exotion

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Apply this to your situation. If you don't say, they won't know and it isn't lying unless the custome absoulety wants to know where your work force comes from. I say you have a very good idea! Jail is hard on people and once they get out they are stigmatised by some people. They probably lost evyerhting they had. Wife, kids, Gf, money, job, etc. A job can alloy a fresh start. If the ex cons do a good job, why not hire them. Don't advertise. Just hire them and make sure they do a good job.

For good logistics you can put a GPS system on each truck to track down crews, get good commercial equipment like Scag, Toro, STIHL, ECHO, Shindaiwa, Exmark, Ferris, etc.

Until something happens good luck

Carscw

Carscw

Until something happens good luck

And what do you think is going to happen?
You are nice to ex cons most every day. And you don't even know it.
Hell one might work at the mower repair shop.
Most ex cons start a lawn care business.
Truth be told this ex con right here has more customers and makes the money you only can dream of.

B

bertsmobile1

In a small and significantly more tollerant country than the USA 1 in 20 people have been to prision.
These people include doctors, nurses, senators , lawyers , accountants , even a person who became a nationally recognised hero, got voted Australian of the Year and got an MBE from the queen ( before we dumped Royal honours ) .
You will find hundreds of doctors ( if not thousands ) have done time for one reason or another, particularly those involved with euthanasia & abortion let alone "nice" crimes like perscription abuse for the rich & famous.
So in a country obsessed with segregation & revenge one would expect this ratio to closer to 1 in 10 if not as high as 1 in 5.
And the reason is simple .
Politicians play on base emotions of fear & revenge in order to get elected.
If one of the current presidential candidates said he was going to build a massive prison city somewhere in the desert country with a capacity 200,000,000 inmates and every one convicted would go there for life they would get voted in with a massive landslide.
Why, because it plays on a primary emotion and emotions take ceribal precidence over serious contemplation.

Oh and while on the subject of outing, I have spent more than a few nights "at Her Majestys Convienance".

By the time we closed down the courier company I had keys to well over 50 of the Sydney A list celebrities homes as well as after hours access to most of the top end retail fashion warehouses/ head offices.
We had keys to all of the photographic studios that were either our customers or used by our customers.
About 1/3 of these people knew of my background and because these were well educated people with a brain, none of them gave a toss as none of them found out about the background till after they knew the man.

After the GFC when I was forced back into transport I had keys to almost all of the cellars of the leading restaurants in Sydney because it made their booze deliveries easier and we are talking of stuff in the $ 50.00 to $ 1500.00 / bottle range.
Admittedly most were on CCTV and I am sure some had left little "honesty test" laying around ( or they had really sloppy cellaring practice ) but in any case very few asked about criminal past and all were told.
Only 2 customers refused to allow me access and one was run by a Pom the other a Yank.

Ric

Ric

Now we know who the stuck up snobs are.
I have never in 30 years doing lawn care. Had a customer ask about any workers.
Only time I have had to submit I background check. Was for the county for the school grounds. Still got the contract with 2 guys with felonies on the grew.

The federal government pays you to hire people on parole.
These guys work their *** off and never miss a day.

It doesn't have anything to do with being a stuck up or a snob, it's just common sense. Why would a company hire potential problems. Yes the Federal Government gives Tax breaks to businesses to hire felons but even at that most felons still have to pass printing and a criminal background check which is generally five to seven years of no activity and most can't and as most have already discovered, there aren't a lot of people or businesses looking to hire felons.
As far as schools go, here private or public if you have a felony conviction don't bother applying for a job because your wasting your time. Yes the ex-con can apply and the guy behind the desk will do the interview because he has too by law and then it's a handshake and the old will be in contact thing, the app is then filed and forgot. I mean really say I'm interviewing people for a job and I have 100 applicant's for the job and a couple of felons that apply, what are there chances against the other 98 who are more than qualified applicants. Personally any tax break the federal government could give me for hiring an Ex-con isn't worth the time or trouble.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Jail is an easy solution. It is not the best solution. Peole dwell in there for years until they parole. Some go nuts. In fact, many get out messed up because of jail. Crazy stuff happens in jail.

Common sense can somtimes suffer from tunnel vision if you are not open.

Not all prisoners are bad persons. Anyways, I don't feel like arguing much. I think it's a great idea. A second a chance.

Cars, you've been behind bars?

Ric

Ric

Jail is an easy solution. It is not the best solution. Peole dwell in there for years until they parole. Some go nuts. In fact, many get out messed up because of jail. Crazy stuff happens in jail.

Common sense can somtimes suffer from tunnel vision if you are not open.

Not all prisoners are bad persons. Anyways, I don't feel like arguing much. I think it's a great idea. A second a chance.

Cars, you've been behind bars?

Jails aren't the solution. Jails are for people who have been arrested and are waiting for bail or are being held pending a plea agreement, trial, or sentencing. From there you can end up on county lockup for a period depending on the sentence and your record. It takes a lot of offenses before you earn the right to go to the prison establishment. It's funny how some people view the situation of people in prison and actually feel bad for their situation when for the most part there all there of their own doing.

Carscw

Carscw

Jail is an easy solution. It is not the best solution. Peole dwell in there for years until they parole. Some go nuts. In fact, many get out messed up because of jail. Crazy stuff happens in jail. Common sense can somtimes suffer from tunnel vision if you are not open. Not all prisoners are bad persons. Anyways, I don't feel like arguing much. I think it's a great idea. A second a chance. Cars, you've been behind bars?

32 years ago 2 felonies one crime.
Been arrested 4 times over the years for fighting at race tracks.
So I guess I am a bad person that will never be a productive member of society.

When I got out of jail I got a job on a golf course.
30 years later here I am living my dreams.

Carscw

Carscw

Jails aren't the solution. Jails are for people who have been arrested and are waiting for bail or are being held pending a plea agreement, trial, or sentencing. From there you can end up on county lockup for a period depending on the sentence and your record. It takes a lot of offenses before you earn the right to go to the prison establishment. It's funny how some people view the situation of people in prison and actually feel bad for their situation when for the most part there all there of their own doing.

Jail is also for people serving 2 1/2 years or less.
I am all about second chances. Do I feel bad for anyone in prison? Heck no they put them selfs there. I have hired a lot of guys on parole. Not every one has worked out some went back to prison. Some now work for them selfs. Most work hard and never miss a day.

serelaw

serelaw

Wrong again.

To the original poster,
For some specific lawn care advice ric has seasoned experienced factual opinions.
Based on his experience from doing the job for years, he would be a valuable asset.
On any other topic a thorough vetting of his answers is advised.
You posed a provocative question. Good luck in your venture.

PS. I wonder sometimes how legit some of these questions are.

exotion

exotion

Go ask a few of your customers opinions.

All your b.s no one actually cares what the customer thinks. Do you not realize without the customer you are nothing.

I dare you ask a few of your customers... I have and they all said they wouldn't hire someone who hires cons. And if they were deceived and anything ended up missing or broken they would tell everyone they knew.

Not all publicity is good. I'm disappointed you would be so deceitful. Whatever happened to honesty?

Carscw

Carscw

Go ask a few of your customers opinions. All your b.s no one actually cares what the customer thinks. Do you not realize without the customer you are nothing. I dare you ask a few of your customers... I have and they all said they wouldn't hire someone who hires cons. And if they were deceived and anything ended up missing or broken they would tell everyone they knew. Not all publicity is good. I'm disappointed you would be so deceitful. Whatever happened to honesty?

Don't ask don't tell.
People don't mind when the county or state inmate work crews are removing a tree off their house. Or picking trash up on the road sides.
More people are ok with it then you would think.

It's people like you that think you are better then other people. Without people giving them jobs they have no chance to better their lives.

So am I to believe that you give all your customers a resume for all your employees ?

exotion

exotion

Don't ask don't tell.
People don't mind when the county or state inmate work crews are removing a tree off their house. Or picking trash up on the road sides.
More people are ok with it then you would think.

It's people like you that think you are better then other people. Without people giving them jobs they have no chance to better their lives.

So am I to believe that you give all your customers a resume for all your employees ?

Deceitful and dishonest congratulations

G

gainestruk

Anyone else notice this thread is up to 4 pages and origional poster hasn't been back ? Hmm

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Jail is also for people serving 2 1/2 years or less.
I am all about second chances. Do I feel bad for anyone in prison? Heck no they put them selfs there. I have hired a lot of guys on parole. Not every one has worked out some went back to prison. Some now work for them selfs. Most work hard and never miss a day.

I am pretty sure no one knew here that you were in jail. It changes nothing around here. Just like if clients didn't know you went to jail. You have a good company and seem to make good money. You are very usefull around here. We don't need to know the past. All tho, it may help a few here that are judgementeal about ex cons.

Go ask a few of your customers opinions.

All your b.s no one actually cares what the customer thinks. Do you not realize without the customer you are nothing.

I dare you ask a few of your customers... I have and they all said they wouldn't hire someone who hires cons. And if they were deceived and anything ended up missing or broken they would tell everyone they knew.

Not all publicity is good. I'm disappointed you would be so deceitful. Whatever happened to honesty?

How many customers did you talk to? You need to ask a lot of people before concluding. It isn't representative. Ever heard of statistics. We don't just go out and ask like 5 people about abortion, jail, etc.

We have all hidden stuff in life from others. Every body lies.

B

bertsmobile1

You could not be more wrong if you tried.

According to The Economist, not exactly what one would call a soft lefty socialist publication, last year 12,500,000 Americans were detained 2,700,000 were in a prision of some kind and 700,000 exited the system so no it does not take much to end up in gaol in the USA.
Apparently children get sent to prision for running away from home.

I pinched this chart from a report by By Peter Wagner and Leah Sakala March 12, 2014
lockedup_pie.jpg
Add to that the lobbying of private run for profit prison companies are doing for increased sentencing ( they are doing the same here ) and idiot legislations like 3 strike policies and it is blindingly obvious that it ain't hard to get into a prision in the USA.

Now if 700,000 get released each year and making a bold assumption that they not the same 700,000 each year, a hell of a lot of citizens have done time at least once in their lives.

Carscw

Carscw

Deceitful and dishonest congratulations

Explain.
I do not lie or hide anything from anyone.

serelaw

serelaw

Dear Bert,
I always enjoy your writings. Having used logic and common sense myself
when championing a cause, I can recognize the futility of effort by a protagonist early on.
I hope you will not weary of fending off the occasional attack by not so like minded posters.
Your insight into various topics here brings a breath of fresh air to the forum.
I especially like the links and such. Most just let sound come from their mouth holes and we are
supposed to take it as gospel and the last word on the matter.

Carscw,
I would have to try hard to care less about anyone that would call you deceitful and dishonest.
I would congratulate both of you on your journey and your accomplishments. But doing what we are supposed to do
in life is kinda cheapened by a faceless strangers "Atta Boy" from the internet. That level of gravitas seems to be watered down lately.
Doing the right thing, being loyal to family and friends, showing respect to others and trying to get ahead in the struggle of everyday life used to be the norm.
(By "Others" I mean those so profoundly misguided and wrong and close minded that they are hopeless twats forever lost in a mental world of the unclear and totally ignorant reality that is their existence.)
Getting a second or third chance is usually earned by the person for showing signs of repentance and the willingness to toe the line and act right.
I know, I am as guilty as anyone for being a dbag here sometimes. I never was one to suffer fools very well.
I lost my train of thought but that happens when you get old from time to time.
I have never been sued or questioned having hired a ex whatever. I have fired some that where not ready for prime time as it were.
But all in all no regrets.
Ramble over and out

Carscw

Carscw

Dear Bert, I always enjoy your writings. Having used logic and common sense myself when championing a cause, I can recognize the futility of effort by a protagonist early on. I hope you will not weary of fending off the occasional attack by not so like minded posters. Your insight into various topics here brings a breath of fresh air to the forum. I especially like the links and such. Most just let sound come from their mouth holes and we are supposed to take it as gospel and the last word on the matter. Carscw, I would have to try hard to care less about anyone that would call you deceitful and dishonest. I would congratulate both of you on your journey and your accomplishments. But doing what we are supposed to do in life is kinda cheapened by a faceless strangers "Atta Boy" from the internet. That level of gravitas seems to be watered down lately. Doing the right thing, being loyal to family and friends, showing respect to others and trying to get ahead in the struggle of everyday life used to be the norm. (By "Others" I mean those so profoundly misguided and wrong and close minded that they are hopeless twats forever lost in a mental world of the unclear and totally ignorant reality that is their existence.) Getting a second or third chance is usually earned by the person for showing signs of repentance and the willingness to toe the line and act right. I know, I am as guilty as anyone for being a dbag here sometimes. I never was one to suffer fools very well. I lost my train of thought but that happens when you get old from time to time. I have never been sued or questioned having hired a ex whatever. I have fired some that where not ready for prime time as it were. But all in all no regrets. Ramble over and out

Well said.
I just like helping people.

B

bertsmobile1

Thanks for the accolade though it is not the reason why I do what I do.
It is something I really started to notice way back in my uni days ( college to some ), which was funded partially from the full time job and partially from proceeds of the criminal activities of the group I associated with.
People with the strongest beliefs had the least amount of knowledge to base it on. There were no science students marching in the anti-uranium protests.
The students with the strongest racist ideas had never associated with anyone outside their race/ religion / social demographic.
However to resort to a socially repugnamt & violent clique in order to gain self esteem showed me something interesting, almost every one was there for the same reason, we were all socially disenfranchised youth seeking our "place" in society.
Bikies have not changed, it is just the groups their ranks are drawn from has gone from Poms, to Maltese, to Leboneese to Portugeese etc, etc, all groups who were socially rejected at one time till the next group of "others" became the whipping horse of the "civilised " society.
Being forced to work to support myself from around 12, I can identify with Black people who can not get a job. And in order to hide my "interesting" past they had to be all low pay mannual type jobs.
As such I was privilledged to work side by side with lots of "societies rejects" and illegals.
The old saying to walk a mile in your enemies shoes is so true it is not funny.
Apart from religious zealots I have found the vast bulk of people like Ric ( not trying to pick on Ric ) have no first hand knowledge about their prejudices.
So if they actually found out just how many ex-inmates they came into contact with on a daily basis the views they have about "what every one else will think" might just change a bit, as a large amount ot the "others" will if not been to prision themselves be closely associated with some one who has.
As luck will have it I dropped out of the bikie gang and found a new social circle of mainly academics who base their decisions on facts or better still, get the facts first then make a decision based upon them.
It is something ( called the scientific method ) that I have tried to practice.
Not too different to fixing a mower.
You listen to the customer, then you gather evidence then you make a decision.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I knew you had some kind of education Bert. You seem to know so much. You are of great help to the forum! I hope you stay around for a long time. A hard past can sometimes give a lot to a person. It helps one to grow better and learn from there mistakes.

It is very important to gather as much info as possible and then judge. Too many are judgemental by just looking quickly at a person physically. This is what University (College) helped me consider. All tho, I still judge to fast sometimes.

exotion

exotion

I think I'm done with this forum it's just repetitive crap at this point it's full of good info that can be utilized with the search feature. But full of drama and annoying people cya later alligators

Carscw

Carscw

I think I'm done with this forum it's just repetitive crap at this point it's full of good info that can be utilized with the search feature. But full of drama and annoying people cya later alligators

^^^^
This is what people do when others do not think like them. Or agree with them.

Ric

Ric

^^^^
This is what people do when others do not think like them. Or agree with them.

Congratulations Carscw, I see you and a couple of others finally ran off a valuable member of the forum. Ya'll should be proud of yourselves. Hope your feeling deep pleasure and or satisfaction as a result of ya'lls achievements.

Carscw

Carscw

Congratulations Carscw, I see you and a couple of others finally ran off a valuable member of the forum. Ya'll should be proud of yourselves. Hope your feeling deep pleasure and or satisfaction as a result of ya'lls achievements.

Not my fault he gets butt hurt easy.
I was very easy on him after he felt the need to insult me.
He has a lot of nerve to call anyone else dishonest after how he got start doing lawn care on his own.
You don't like me but even you know I did not lay into him.

B

bertsmobile1

And ditto ,
If I gave any one flack, Ric it was you. Although I do try not too make things personal. We argee on some and dissagree on others.
Telling some one they are wrong benefits nobody. Showing them why they are wrong will at least make them think about how they they came to their conclusions.
If some find this self examination embarrassing and decide to go bunker down in their own safe place that is unfortunate.

Perhaps I am just weird, but I like to be correct most of the time and am most grateful to all the people ( and there have been a lot) who have taken the time to explain to me why I was wrong so I can change my opinion to one closer to correct.

B

Blades of Glory

Anyone else notice this thread is up to 4 pages and origional poster hasn't been back ? Hmm

I was going to just leave this post alone considering not a single person addressed my actual question, but rather stole off two words I mentioned about my employee base. I have done actual legitimizing and lengthy research on the complications of hiring ex-offenders, apparently much more than the hyper-postulating nincompoops on this forum.

If anyone read the original question, you may recall it was on a totally separate subject: "I am looking for sound management counsel in bidding/equipment/HR/multiple crew logistics and best practices. I am an experiential learner and the idea hit me to reach out to this community to request if anyone in the Southeast would be willing to let me ride along with you and your company for a day or two during the off season while things are slower for all of us."

My conclusion is that there is no one here that has sound management counsel because no one has actually read my post.

People who say it can't be done should get out of the way of people who are doing it.