Export thread

New Raptor SD clutch rattle

M

mjn9222

Hi everyone
I just picked up my new Raptor SD today and stated mowing my yard and everything was great but as I was coming close to finishing the yard my clutch started to rattle. It sounded like everything was about to fall off. Has anyone had the happen?

K

Kremeneon

Yes, see post 101 in the SD Recall thread, mine is doing/ did the same thing.

T

Tta197

I glued a small piece of metal in between the anchor and the clutch itself about .060 thick. Just enough to get rid of the clutch movement at the anchor. I noticed this when I did the service bulletin for the extra washer under the bolt of the clutch.
Again poor QC on Hustler's part. It's a new mower and I've had to fix this along with the loose belt.:thumbdown:

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

Tta...You need a special title from Hustler,possibly Field QC Manager....really appreciate your explanations and ideas to assure spec. performance and long life! Happy Fathers Day to all!:thumbsup:

T

Tta197

Tta...You need a special title from Hustler,possibly Field QC Manager....really appreciate your explanations and ideas to assure spec. performance and long life! Happy Fathers Day to all!:thumbsup:

Thanks! Hopefully this will be the end of the problems we encounter with this machine.

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

If you got time to post pics of what exactly you did with the piece of metal........again you have my vote for Field QC Manager!At least those of us who are mechanically challenged could be more informed when we discuss issues with dealer.:smile:

T

Tta197

If you got time to post pics of what exactly you did with the piece of metal........again you have my vote for Field QC Manager!At least those of us who are mechanically challenged could be more informed when we discuss issues with dealer.:smile:

This is how I added a shim to the clutch anchor. See picture

Attachments

E

Eric21

How is the shim working? Did the dealer not have a fix for the rattle? Mine is doing the same thing.

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

From my experience the rattle (when blades are engaged) comes from too much play in the spring.I don't like the shaking but too cheap to buy new spring which apparently is much more robust with more tension.This is on my "to do" list.My mower continues to be a workhorse,I'm a Happy Hustler owner!:thumbsup:

T

Tta197

My SD is doing good with the shim glued on the anchor and the heavier spring. When I turn the blades on, the deck is smooth with no shake. It did shake pretty bad with oem spring when the blades were first engaged. The main the thing is to not over do it on tension if you go with a heavier spring, that belt needs to flex some.
By the way, I used red high temp rtv to glue that piece of shim on.

E

Eric21

I am going to call the dealer on Monday, did yours not know what to do to fix it, or did you not take it in first?

T

Tta197

I didn't bother to ask. I knew I would get all kinds of excuses including warranty issues by installing a different spring.

E

Eric21

I am going to see what they have to say tomorrow. I did not spend 4k on a mower that i have to rig something on to so the clutch will operate normal. Did anyone have to add more oil to the hydro tank after first 2 hours of use? mine is completely empty.

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

That is typical,buy some of the hydro oil and add a little,then check.....repeat this til it goes to the right level when not in use.This apparently happens as the hydros essentially suck up the lubrication they need. You got a sweet mower,it takes awhile to get everything fine tuned.I'm a satisfied owner now that the hazing period is over!:laughing:

E

Eric21

That is typical,buy some of the hydro oil and add a little,then check.....repeat this til it goes to the right level when not in use.This apparently happens as the hydros essentially suck up the lubrication they need. You got a sweet mower,it takes awhile to get everything fine tuned.I'm a satisfied owner now that the hazing period is over!:laughing:

Thanks, did you have any problems with the clutch rattling on your mower?

E

Eric21

Got it back from the dealer today, they just made a shim for it. Works for me, said if I have anymore problems they would replace the clutch and the stop.

Parkmower

Parkmower

From my experience the rattle (when blades are engaged) comes from too much play in the spring.I don't like the shaking but too cheap to buy new spring which apparently is much more robust with more tension.This is on my "to do" list.My mower continues to be a workhorse,I'm a Happy Hustler owner!:thumbsup:

Ggg. Bonn v. Vlyhbbbbn

Sorry 2y/o typing and actually posting lol.

E

Eric21

Shim my dealer put on.

Attachments

K

Kremeneon

Thanks all, after having my dealer look at the clutch rattle and only say "wont hurt anything" I decided to make my own shim out of copper, it works great and no rattle noise.

Great information here!

J

JPR

I have this loud noise too. The recall steps were done prior to my purchasing the SD54 (BTW -- Hustler still don't even list that recall on their webiste site... concerns me a little).

Is this something different, or part of the original problem? Was the recall fix supposed to fix this loud noise?

E

Eric21

I don't think the recall has anything to do with the rattling. But my dealer just put a shim in it, said if there is anymore problems that he would just replace the whole clutch and the stop.

J

JPR

I don't think the recall has anything to do with the rattling. But my dealer just put a shim in it, said if there is anymore problems that he would just replace the whole clutch and the stop.

You are correct. This is what I know as of now...

1. I emailed my dealer (our usual, initial method of contact). This usually takes only a couple of days to respond.

2. Emailed Hustler requesting any information they have on the subject.

3. Jack, from Hustler, contacted me very quickly via email requesting information. We had a couple of emails during this conversation. He recommend I take the mower to the dealer and let them fix it up.

4. Meanwhile, I spoke to Chris at our dealer (Muscatine Lawn and Power). He has been looking into the situation and discussing it with Hustler. He even went on to explain what is "really" happening and why it's happening. Honestly, it was all pretty much jibberish to me. lol

5. Later that evening, Mark from Hustler contacted me via the phone. He pretty much reassured me that Hustler is not only aware of the issue, but have been in direct contact with my dealer. He went on to try and explain what is causing it, again -- jibberish to me. He mentioned there are differrent ways of reducing the noise, but they could possibly only be a short term fix. Hustler has been working on fixing it from happening in the first place, not just a temp fix.

6. Where this is at for me... Hustler is sending parts to my dealer to see what helps this issue the best. I'll be contacted at that time. I was reassured by Hustler this will not harm the machine.

Overall, I am very confident this is getting the attention it needs. I'm extremely happy with the speed these guys are replying to everything going on. Kudos goes out to Chris from Muscatine Lawn and Power, as well as Jack and Mark from Hustler.

BTW: Mark also spoke of the different methods being tried on these very forums. So if anyone wondered, Yes they do visit lawnmowerforum.com. :)

B

Bikerdude710

I purchased a Raptor SD 54" a few weeks ago and I LOVE it! except for the same reason everyone else has commented on this thread. I joined LawnWorld a week ago and read this thread about the same rattle that I am currently having. I called my dealer and he informed me that they would come pick up my mower and apply a temporary fix until the permanent fix that Hustler is sending out sometime in November arrives. I asked them what they would do and they told me they would apply just a small bit of weld to take up the gap between the clutch and the stop. I asked if I could do it since I have access to the equipment that is necessary and if it would effect my warranty in any way. They assured me that it wouldn't and they will contact me in November to install the permanent fix then. This is the whole reason I wanted to buy from a dealer and not a BBS.

J

jaybird11

Bought a new hustler sd 3 weeks ago but it does have the terrible rattle. the dealer ordered another clutch for it but informed me that clutch that was on it, was in spec, and that hustler probably would not pay for the replacement part)>? Still they installed the new one, and sent the mower back to me. It was quiet for a few minutes, and then started back rattling like a rattle trap after two rounds around my property. This is very annoying and sounds terrible. I can not believe Hustler has not acted to remedy this issue sooner? My neighbor told me my raptor sd sounded like it was gonna fall apart, I kinda agree with him. I've read hustler says it won't hurt the mower and should not be cause for worry... well, maybe not... but it WILL effect the sales on this series unless they get this fix done quickly for this nonsense. For 5k one expects a mower not to have these issues and if there are a permanent retrofit (shim) should be installed on the recall asap. Other than the horrible rattle, the machine is awesome. Cuts my mowing time down considerably and does a fine job on the lawn.

E

Eric21

Well the shim my dealer put on broke off yesterday, so back to the dealer it will go. I am not going to settle for the noise, did not pay this much money for it to be told that I have to deal with it.

J

jaybird11

Well the shim my dealer put on broke off yesterday, so back to the dealer it will go. I am not going to settle for the noise, did not pay this much money for it to be told that I have to deal with it.

Did your dealer mention anything about a Hustler recall/fix coming November in the past ? I have read a few comments about something coming, but no confirmation of any kind from dealer/ nor hustler

M

MTWallet

New 54" SD owner here, I fixed the clutch rattle by flattening the bend in the tang that is bolted to the frame a little bit so that the end of the tang just comes into contact with the curve of the slot on the clutch. There is still a gap on either side of the tang (where the shim was put by your dealer) but the clutch can't vibrate because the end of the tang is in direct contact with the clutch slot. You could see on the back side of the tang where a machine gripped it to put the bend into the metal, I just flattened it back slightly.

J

jaybird11

New 54" SD owner here, I fixed the clutch rattle by flattening the bend in the tang that is bolted to the frame a little bit so that the end of the tang just comes into contact with the curve of the slot on the clutch. There is still a gap on either side of the tang (where the shim was put by your dealer) but the clutch can't vibrate because the end of the tang is in direct contact with the clutch slot. You could see on the back side of the tang where a machine gripped it to put the bend into the metal, I just flattened it back slightly.

Do you think you could photograph and post a pic of that so that I could force feed that to my dealer ? I cut my lawn with mine this afternoon, love the machine, but the rattle is just stupid. I also emailed Hustler today, but have not heard back from them. appreciate your help.

K

Kremeneon

So basically you bent the clutch anchor arm slightly toward the driveshaft/center of the clutch.

M

MTWallet

So basically you bent the clutch anchor arm slightly toward the driveshaft/center of the clutch.

Exactly.

I remembered reading in a post somewhere about the rattle that a dealer made an "adjustment" or was going to make an adjustment to remove the rattle but it didn't involve using a shim. I tried just loosening the anchor arm bolts to see if there was enough play in the attach points to get rid of the rattle, it helped, but not enough, so I removed the arm and used a mallet to flatten it a little. Took a couple of off and on tries to get it just right. I would say don't over do it though, because that would put a side load on the clutch/shaft when you tighten up the attachment bolts of the anchor.

K

Kremeneon

I would imagine someone could experiment with a slight shim under the back of the anchor where it bolts to the frame/engine pan, to bias it slightly forward.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Hustler Raptor SD60 Clutch.jpgThe rattle everyone is referring to, is it the God awful shudder when you engage the blades? Mine shudders and almost kills the engine. My clutch seems to be the same as the pre-recall. Can anyone confirm?

K

Kremeneon

One washer is pre-recall. Looks like it to me.

mhavanti

mhavanti

One washer is pre-recall. Looks like it to me.

Thank you kindly. I thought I was pretty sure even after I finally looked at the serial number.

Is the violent shudder pre-supposed to the slack in the bolt head spacing in your opinion?

J

jaybird1

My mower was taken in for the first oil change last week and hustler sent a second fix kit to my dealer to remedy the noise problem of the clutch.
From the work order receipt I see a "rubber bumper" part #(hus784918) and a "pulley" part #(hus604712). I hope this fixes the problem. I
have not been able to use the mower since they returned the mower with the new fix because I have been traveling. However, I will be able to
use it today and will post my findings later this evening.

J

mhavanti

mhavanti

My dealer says mine has already been repaired by the factory before it was shipped. Although the photo shows no washers and the purchase was two months before the recall. I hope your repair fixes your mower, Jbird.

A

akcooper9

My mower was taken in for the first oil change last week and hustler sent a second fix kit to my dealer to remedy the noise problem of the clutch.
From the work order receipt I see a "rubber bumper" part #(hus784918) and a "pulley" part #(hus604712). I hope this fixes the problem. I
have not been able to use the mower since they returned the mower with the new fix because I have been traveling. However, I will be able to
use it today and will post my findings later this evening.

J

JBIRD any updates?

J

jaybird11

JBIRD any updates?

Hey guys, sorry, got side tracked with some family obligations. I used the Raptor SD yesterday to cut 2 acres, the kit they added to my machine has eliminated all of the clutch rattle!!!! It was a joy to run that thing to cut the lawn! Thanks hustler for getting this done!~ I will probably have only one more mow in a couple of weeks before the raptor hibernates in the shed. I posted the Hustler Part #s of what they added to my machine in a previous post, anyone having the rattle issue should take note and contact their dealers to get their grass assassin retrofitted.

mhavanti

mhavanti

I've still not heard back from my dealer about the clutch rattle other than he said it had been done even before the recall was made.

Anyone else experiencing this?

mhavanti

mhavanti

You are correct. This is what I know as of now...

1. I emailed my dealer (our usual, initial method of contact). This usually takes only a couple of days to respond.

2. Emailed Hustler requesting any information they have on the subject.

3. Jack, from Hustler, contacted me very quickly via email requesting information. We had a couple of emails during this conversation. He recommend I take the mower to the dealer and let them fix it up.

4. Meanwhile, I spoke to Chris at our dealer (Muscatine Lawn and Power). He has been looking into the situation and discussing it with Hustler. He even went on to explain what is "really" happening and why it's happening. Honestly, it was all pretty much jibberish to me. lol

5. Later that evening, Mark from Hustler contacted me via the phone. He pretty much reassured me that Hustler is not only aware of the issue, but have been in direct contact with my dealer. He went on to try and explain what is causing it, again -- jibberish to me. He mentioned there are differrent ways of reducing the noise, but they could possibly only be a short term fix. Hustler has been working on fixing it from happening in the first place, not just a temp fix.

6. Where this is at for me... Hustler is sending parts to my dealer to see what helps this issue the best. I'll be contacted at that time. I was reassured by Hustler this will not harm the machine.

Overall, I am very confident this is getting the attention it needs. I'm extremely happy with the speed these guys are replying to everything going on. Kudos goes out to Chris from Muscatine Lawn and Power, as well as Jack and Mark from Hustler.

BTW: Mark also spoke of the different methods being tried on these very forums. So if anyone wondered, Yes they do visit lawnmowerforum.com. :)

Do you still have the service department phone number and if so, may I have it? Mhavanti@yahoo.com

fan45acp

fan45acp

Do you still have the service department phone number and if so, may I have it? Mhavanti@yahoo.com

mhavanti, Hustler Customer Service 620-327-1345

mhavanti

mhavanti

Thanks fan45acp.

By the way, what is your 45acp of choice?

Mine is a 1911 I won in a competition. It is was built in 1910.

I have had many 1911A1 both military and civilians.

Great pistols.

Thanks for the information, Sir.

Max

fan45acp

fan45acp

Thanks fan45acp.

By the way, what is your 45acp of choice?

Mine is a 1911 I won in a competition. It is was built in 1910.

I have had many 1911A1 both military and civilians.

Great pistols.

Thanks for the information, Sir.

Max

Max, Grew up with 1911's like them. Love them or hate them I'll usually carry either a Glock 36 or Glock 30S. A Springfield XDS in 45acp is also in my carry rotation, all carred in a MTAC IWB. Max your very welcome for the contact information.

K

Kremeneon

I still have the clutch rattle and have not heard anything lately from hustler on a long term fix.

mhavanti

mhavanti

My mower was returned to me when it was extra cold, which it still is, thus I have not engaged the clutch on mine. Until there is something to power load it, I don't think it would be a tell until then.

Will keep you all informed.

I can say a Dealer gets all huffy when he gets a call from Hustler. Although the dealer was put in a bad light, some are just this way in a small town situation, no matter if you're patting them on the back.

K

Kremeneon

I took advantage of a few minutes free time over winter to make a very nice anti-rattle shim out of an ~3" piece of 1/2" copper pipe. When pounded flat it was about exactly the correct width and thickness to fill the cap between the anchor and clutch notch. I bent it into a J to wrap around the top of the anchor finger and slide down past the gap at the clutch notch. I then bent the excess around the bottom of the anchor finger to lock it in place. It leaves about .040 gap for the anchor and clutch to move, but not enough room to build up speed and rattle audibly. I figured copper would be a good choice as a shim between two steel pieces being a much softer and cushioning metal, as well as the ease of forming it.

I took it for the inaugural spin on Saturday and there is no more rattle. Love it.

M

mooch91

I took advantage of a few minutes free time over winter to make a very nice anti-rattle shim out of an ~3" piece of 1/2" copper pipe. When pounded flat it was about exactly the correct width and thickness to fill the cap between the anchor and clutch notch. I bent it into a J to wrap around the top of the anchor finger and slide down past the gap at the clutch notch. I then bent the excess around the bottom of the anchor finger to lock it in place. It leaves about .040 gap for the anchor and clutch to move, but not enough room to build up speed and rattle audibly. I figured copper would be a good choice as a shim between two steel pieces being a much softer and cushioning metal, as well as the ease of forming it.

I took it for the inaugural spin on Saturday and there is no more rattle. Love it.

Can you post any pictures? Thanks!

K

Kremeneon

Can you post any pictures? Thanks!

Pics from my mow last night, can't really see the top, but it is bent over like a J, around the top and part way down the back of the anchor. It may look tight but the clutch can still move around, a business card can slip easily in there when you spin the clutch to one side.

RDS54_Kremer_Clutch_bumper_bottom.jpgRDS54_Kremer_Clutch_bumper_top.jpg

N

Nutcase2be

I have had my RSD 54 for about a month now and love it. I did notice the rattle and looked on here to find what was being said about it. The copper sounds like a good idea. I have a plastic zip tie around mine, for now :tongue: but it keeps it quite. I am definitely interested in the Hustler fix. Going to have to give my dealer a call. Thanks for the pics.

K

Kremeneon

Last night the copper shim I made fell off while mowing the 1.5ac behind my house. I was unable to locate it but I noticed the return of rattle immediately when it was gone. My best guess is that since the anchor arm and clutch notch are nearly level at the bottom bend of my shim, the hammering action slowly straightened the bend out and it eventually popped off the top.

For anti-vibration shim #2 I am going to remove the anchor and slip an uncut piece of copper over the while finger part, leaving nothing to come loose. Will report back with pics.

K

Kremeneon

Ok, so Here's my situation after that first spacer removed itself...

Then as sort of as described I got some thicker copper sheet, removed the anchor, pounded the copper around it, soldered to capture, and buffed down the edges for thickness. That really did the trick, no rattle, no nothing.... though the wobble and belt flap was still there. It lasted just shy of the summer. the only way it could have come off it for the copper to be pounded into foil and fracture off at the impact points front and back.

THEN I removed the anchor again, took it to my neighbor with a welder and we built up the thickness of the anchor so it wouldn't have room to build up speed. I buffed it down to fit in the clutch slot with only a business card of space (anchor, but not bind...) so far so good, it isn't as quiet as the copper bumper, but it is quieter than OEM and the OEM >1/8" gap. it is slowly getting louder and the gap is opening. I think the steel on steel is wearing the slot in the clutch.

The clutch rattle has been annoying the bejeesus out of me this spring. I need to find a proper solution. Looks like the newer SD's get a bushing, which I found in the parts manual. However the clutch and clutch anchor part numbers on those newer mowers is different than mine. The bushing part is:

Hustler 605595 clutch bushing
https://www.hustlerlawnmowerparts.com/hustler-part-605595/

It looks like a POS plastic clip. I can't see that lasting more than five minutes unless it is some indestructible poly alloy.