New Mower Recommendation

rlw989

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking to replace my old 21" Craftsman (Crapsman?) mower. I have had nothing but trouble with it and the quality of cut is poor.

I am in Kansas City and mow 1/3 acre of fescue. Terrain is relatively flat with a couple spots being 3% grade or so. Not to much to mow around.

I have been mainly looking at Honda and Toro Mowers. My price range is up to $1,000. Any recommendations you all have are appreciated. I almost pulled the trigger on the Toro TimeMaster but with it being a new model I am not sure I want to drop $1,000 on it. The reviews seem decent and when I looked at it at my local dealer I was impressed. I have visited 1 local PED and will go visit a couple others but wanted to get some thoughts from you all.

I am looking for a self propelled and a clean cut. My current mower leaves clippings all over.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you a mulching, the Toro is the best on the market. The TimeMaster is a great new machine, but if you came to me, I would not recommend it to you for cutting only a 1/3 acre. Over kill, you won't save a lot of time. Can't recommend any models, because I don't know what type of mowing you do. Fill me in.

rlw989

Forum Newbie
Threads
I mulch when I mow. The only bagging I do is in the fall for leaves. Right now I can mow my yard in 45 mins with a 21".

I'm looking for a good clean cut with little clumping.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Toro Personal Pace with the alloy deck would be my recommendation. I know that it is only 21", but with the PP system I feel that it will cut down your time a little, but will definitely give you a great looking lawn. Maybe you dealer has a used one which he will let you try.

rlw989

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll go to the local Toro dealer this weekend.

I looked around online alot today and based on what I had looked at in stores and online I seem to have came to either the Toro 20384 or the Honda HRX217VKA..

The biggest difference in the 2 is that Honda is 190 cc versus the 159 cc of the Toro.

Thoughts on these two? Both are heads and sholders above what I have now..

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either mower would work fine for you. I wouldn't worry about engine size, both have good low end torque. I have always found the Toro easier and cheaper to work on.

YNOT

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new here, but it sounds like you're in the same boat I was in recently. I've had 2 CRAFTSMAN mowers over the past 16 years and my latest one shot craps so I've been looking. I almost went with a CRAFTSMAN again as I've had pretty good luck with them, but then I saw Home Depot had a TORO days sale this week, so I opted to go with a TORO this time.

Already cut my yard twice with it and I love it. I got the TORO Recycler with the Personal Pace. Seems to work great and although I had to clean the plug in order to keep it running for the first time...she fired right up on the first pull last night just as TORO guarantees.

I'm no pro or expert when it comes to mowers, but I have one of the nicest yards in my neighborhood and I think the mower has a lot to do with it...in addition to all of my Jerry Baker concoctions I use.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

rlw989

Forum Newbie
Threads
Either mower would work fine for you. I wouldn't worry about engine size, both have good low end torque. I have always found the Toro easier and cheaper to work on.

Just wanted to say thanks for all your input. I went yesterday and visited my local Toro Dealer and the Honda Dealer. Both let me fire up the models I was looking at. Ultimately I went with the Honda, mainly because they were offering an extra year on the warranty, and the dealer threw in a tank of gas and a "maintenance package" where I can bring the mower in and get the blades sharped and the mower tuned up at no cost for the first year.

Going to do the first mow this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes.