Export thread

New mower choice to make Kohler or Kawasaki engine?

D

DiverDn

Hello, looking to purchase a Lazer Z X series with a 60" deck.

Mow about 20 acres, private, not a commercial purchase.

Hilly with some pretty rough areas.

Should I go with the Kohler or the Kawasaki engine?

Pros or cons to either?

Thanks,
John

W

whelch1

If it was mine, Kawasaki.

Ric

Ric

I'd go Kawasaki also. I run three commercially and love them.

D

DiverDn

Thanks for the quick replies.

Any specific reason to go Kawasaki?

Price, problems with the electronic fuel injection, or engine longevity?

Ric

Ric

Thanks for the quick replies.

Any specific reason to go Kawasaki?

Price, problems with the electronic fuel injection, or engine longevity?

I run The Kawasaki FS on the Grandstand and it's got right at 700 hrs in three years and the FX on the Z Master has 260 hours in like 7 months and haven't had an issue with either.

Carscw

Carscw

I have always liked Briggs.
Just replaced a 24hp Briggs with a 22hp Kawasaki.
It is like night and day.
The Kawasaki is by far the better engine.
It runs smoother and can handle thick grass without bogging down like the Briggs did.

Not sure how it will hold up. Will let you know in a couple months when it hits 1000 hours.

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

Hello, looking to purchase a Lazer Z X series with a 60" deck.

Mow about 20 acres, private, not a commercial purchase.

Hilly with some pretty rough areas.

Should I go with the Kohler or the Kawasaki engine?

Pros or cons to either?

Thanks,
John
Your choice is in another category of mower to mine so
a Kawa mount could be an entirely different engine.
Here is my experience -check what you are buying as comparison.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small...bobbins-rocker-assembly.html?highlight=rocker

Personally...on that size acreage, I would be looking at the diesel powered
machines.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Kohler for sure. Reason, It just seems I get more Kawasaki engines in my shop for repairs then Kohler and the price of parts seem very high when a Kawasaki dose need repair. Don't get me wrong here because both engines are a very good choice along with Briggs so I would go for price. All three engine have had there problems through the years and that includes Kawasaki. This forum seems to push Kawasaki for some reason I don't understand which me being into the repair part just don't know why???

D

DiverDn

Kohler for sure. Reason, It just seems I get more Kawasaki engines in my shop for repairs then Kohler and the price of parts seem very high when a Kawasaki dose need repair. Don't get me wrong here because both engines are a very good choice along with Briggs so I would go for price. All three engine have had there problems through the years and that includes Kawasaki. This forum seems to push Kawasaki for some reason I don't understand which me being into the repair part just don't know why???

Thank you, this is very good information.

And thanks to everyone else.

I'm sure either machine will last well past the warranty period. We maintain our equipment and do our best to not abuse it.

I'm just trying to see trends and overall preferences or trying to see if there is overwhelming evidence to avoid one engine over the other.

When talking to the dealer, his comments were, either will do the job (he knows my situation) the bigger Kohler with EFI will do it more efficiently.

Keep the comments coming.
John

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

[...]

When talking to the dealer, his comments were, either will do the job (he knows my situation) the bigger Kohler with EFI will do it more efficiently.

Keep the comments coming.
John

On 20acres..?
That's interesting.
I understand you guys get "gas" cheap, but still, Walter E. posted not a week ago
he is mowing maybe less than 20acres and his comment was he wouldn't try
it on anything less than his 72" D. Kube!

/scratches scone (head)

D

DiverDn

On 20acres..?
That's interesting.
I understand you guys get "gas" cheap, but still, Walter E. posted not a week ago
he is mowing maybe less than 20acres and his comment was he wouldn't try
it on anything less than his 72" D. Kube!

/scratches scone (head)

The dealer did suggest propane (less than a dollar a gallon), but I don't know if the initial investment will be worth it.

We're corn farmers so we need to burn ethanol to support the corn market. :)

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

[...]
We're corn farmers so we need to burn ethanol to support the corn market. :)

Oh Nooooooo NO NO Nòooooooooooooooo..!

[insert "Scream of Anguish.mp3" here]

NOT THE DREADED E10 SH*T FIGHT......AaaaaaH - GHEN!!!!

Brother,, I aint saying I agree with it (the mantra) but pretty much every
MAN I have read on "Owner Maintenance" prohibts warranty claims on
engines using E10...also absolutely disqualfy any higher ratios AT ALL.

/slaps cheek
[CALM]

.... as said previously,,, you'll be burning a LOT of gas.
Luck to yer

/out

D

DiverDn

LOL - No fights, this ain't about ethanol.

I'm just trying to make a decision on whether to go with the Kohler or the Kawasaki.

I've already decided on the Exmark Lazer Z X series with 60" deck, just not settled on the motor.

Thanks

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

LOL - No fights, this ain't about ethanol.

I'm just trying to make a decision on whether to go with the Kohler or the Kawasaki.

I've already decided on the Exmark Lazer Z X series with 60" deck, just not settled on the motor.

Thanks

Ah well maaaate,, I got me a 72" PTO driven slasher with which in our summer I can
get to 'mow' up to 100acres a day, at best of 4" (ht) average.
68HP Perkins in a Massey frame.
Believe me I have tried beating it (contracts) with petrol (gas) ZTR,, the facts just do
not work out to dollars in pocket over investment (time+costs).
You guys got a fuel advantage over us (.au) so I appreciate there is incentive to have a
go at 20 acres, regardless. My fly in the ointment would be "for how long and
how much ($)". Just reading the "oil" thread alone would put one off changing out
consumerables over a 20acre mow using a Vee-Twin.

After all...as William E. wrote.."get it done and get off "(paraphrased).
20acres is a heck of a lot of mowing with 60" at an average of say 8k/hr, fast walk.
Buuuuut ,,, your buck, your ride.

... my two bits. END Of.

And pedantic as it is, the missuse says a lot to the engineering qualified about
the perceptions of the enquirer. Engines are compression modules. Motors are
electrical modules. "Motor" is an olde English name for the modern carriage
minus horse.
But hey,, you guys go on thinking your're disconnected from those "across
the pond" in Independence and THAT tea party:laugh:

to the

D

DiverDn

A

And pedantic as it is, the missuse says a lot to the engineering qualified about
the perceptions of the enquirer. Engines are compression modules. Motors are
electrical modules. "Motor" is an olde English name for the modern carriage
minus horse.
But hey,, you guys go on thinking your're disconnected from those "across
the pond" in Independence and THAT tea party:laugh:

to the

Never said I was an engineer, thanks for the advice and save the etymology lessons for your "Mates" Noah.

Best Regards,
John

S

supertech

The Kohler Command Pro is a good engine, But the models with the plastic valve covers are junk. These are also the ones that miss and smoke if cut along side a slope. I don't have these problems with the Kawasaki or Briggs Vanguard engines.

Homer1

Homer1

I faced this debate a few weeks ago, after reading and researching, and speaking with my dealer I finally decided that there wasn't really a dime bit of difference in the two.

However, based on my experience with Kawasaki engines lasting the test of time on older tractor style mowers, I would probably pick Kaw.

I ended up choosing a briggs commercial grade, lol. It was all my dealer had in stock at the time and the price was a little cheaper. It should last long enough for me, and I can upgrade to the Kaw later if if ever needs to be replaced. Maintenance is key no matter what you choose.

D

DiverDn

The Kohler Command Pro is a good engine, But the models with the plastic valve covers are junk. These are also the ones that miss and smoke if cut along side a slope. I don't have these problems with the Kawasaki or Briggs Vanguard engines.

I faced this debate a few weeks ago, after reading and researching, and speaking with my dealer I finally decided that there wasn't really a dime bit of difference in the two.

However, based on my experience with Kawasaki engines lasting the test of time on older tractor style mowers, I would probably pick Kaw.

I ended up choosing a briggs commercial grade, lol. It was all my dealer had in stock at the time and the price was a little cheaper. It should last long enough for me, and I can upgrade to the Kaw later if if ever needs to be replaced. Maintenance is key no matter what you choose.

Thanks for the feedback. I've about come to the same conclusion, either one will do the job.

I'm thinking the Kohler simply because it's fuel injected.
Thanks again

M

motoman

Everyone please tell us about operation and reliability of the fuel injected engines. Also what besides better air cleaners make the commercial ac engines better than the big box engines like the Intek 24. "Polished" crank journals do not a better engine make. Finally, Kawasaki is an impressive engineering company. So, perhaps like others (Porsche, BMW etc) they charge more and get it just because they can?

D

DiverDn

Everyone please tell us about operation and reliability of the fuel injected engines. Also what besides better air cleaners make the commercial ac engines better than the big box engines like the Intek 24. "Polished" crank journals do not a better engine make. Finally, Kawasaki is an impressive engineering company. So, perhaps like others (Porsche, BMW etc) they charge more and get it just because they can?

Are you saying that my assumption that fuel injected engines are less reliable?

Do you like Kawasaki or do you not like them.

Sorry just trying to figure out what you're really trying to say.

Thanks,
john

M

motoman

John, Since the small ac engines must compete at a low price point, when FJ is added they cost more so less are out there ( I guess). They should be far better machines. But I have not heard much about them and want to know more about owner experiences,

Kawasaki is more advanced IMO than e.g., Briggs and Kohler because of a their wordwide sales of motorcycles and other engines over the years. So IMO Kaw should make better machines. I have not owned one.

Just seeking information at the field level.

D

DiverDn

John, Since the small ac engines must compete at a low price point, when FJ is added they cost more so less are out there ( I guess). They should be far better machines. But I have not heard much about them and want to know more about owner experiences,

Kawasaki is more advanced IMO than e.g., Briggs and Kohler because of a their wordwide sales of motorcycles and other engines over the years. So IMO Kaw should make better machines. I have not owned one.

Just seeking information at the field level.

Got it, I'm interested to see what others think as well

Thanks,