new member trying to fix an old Craftsman tractor

highlander620

Threads
art with the fuel lines check condition then pull the fuel pump off carb 3 or 4 screws may just need a carb overhaul:confused2:

jl102284

Threads
I got it started after installing a new fuel pump. It won't run at idle so it might need some carb work or maybe just new spark plugs. I want to replace the transaxle fluid next. The manual says how to do it but not what kind of fluid it takes. Does anyone know what kind of transaxle fluid it would take?

jl102284

Threads
I found it in the manual. The transaxle takes SAE 30 oil.

jl102284

Threads
  • / new member trying to fix an old Craftsman tractor
I changed the transaxle fluid. Replaced spark plugs and air filter. It is running good:smile:
Then I went to work on the deck. Replaced the spindle and one of the gauge wheels which was broken. Sharpened and balanced the blades, the best I could for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.
Today the grass was ready to be cut so I put the tractor to work. It seems to be cutting well, with the deck in the highest position. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if its because my lawn isn't very level but if I lower the deck at all it seems to gage into the ground often. The belt connected the deck to the engine came off once.
The only thing I am concerned about shifting. It has a gear driven transmission with 6 speeds (3 in high,4 in low). When I shift I push the clutch all the way and make sure I am completely stopped. The gears still grind about 50% of the time. It is very difficult to shift without grinding gears.
Is there a clutch adjustment that could fix this problem? Or what else could it be?

jl102284

Threads
I think the gear grinding was just operator error. I was shifting gears while at full throttle. I started lowering the throttle before shifting and it seems much better.

Threads
I changed the transaxle fluid. Replaced spark plugs and air filter. It is running good:smile:
Then I went to work on the deck. Replaced the spindle and one of the gauge wheels which was broken. Sharpened and balanced the blades, the best I could for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.
Today the grass was ready to be cut so I put the tractor to work. It seems to be cutting well, with the deck in the highest position. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if its because my lawn isn't very level but if I lower the deck at all it seems to gage into the ground often. The belt connected the deck to the engine came off once.
The only thing I am concerned about shifting. It has a gear driven transmission with 6 speeds (3 in high,4 in low). When I shift I push the clutch all the way and make sure I am completely stopped. The gears still grind about 50% of the time. It is very difficult to shift without grinding gears.
Is there a clutch adjustment that could fix this problem? Or what else could it be?

On the blades digging into the ground, check them both to make sure one end isn't bent down. I've got mine to dig into the ground hard enough that one end bent down and would grab the earth every time I tried to lower the deck. Taking it off and straightening it in a vice worked for a while but eventually a replacement was needed.

jl102284

Threads
On the blades digging into the ground, check them both to make sure one end isn't bent down. I've got mine to dig into the ground hard enough that one end bent down and would grab the earth every time I tried to lower the deck. Taking it off and straightening it in a vice worked for a while but eventually a replacement was needed.

The blades are all straight I took them off, sharpened them, and balanced them. I have been cutting with the blade up at its highest position. It has been cutting well and the height it cuts at is just fine. I don't see a need to lower the deck.

It was a bummer I tried to start the tractor yesterday and the NEW starter I just installed broke. The teeth on the starter snapped. I checked to make sure the engine wasn't seized. It is rotating nice and easily by hand. I guess that's what I get for buying china parts off ebay.